[Solved] iOS App Stopped Working - Connecting...

laurin1

This has worked great, until today. Now, when I open the iOS app, I just "Connecting..." and the machine it syncs with says the last sync was 3 days ago (which is correct).

All other BTS clients (Windows desktops) are syncing just fine.

I assume you're talking about Camera backup on the iOS - is it here where you see "Connecting"? If yes, make sure that the share on the desktop where the photos are backed up, has option "Overwrite any changed files" enabled. 

If it's not the case, any elaboration and details about the case, your setup would be much appreciated. 

54 minutes ago, Helen said:

I assume you're talking about Camera backup on the iOS - is it here where you see "Connecting"?

Sorry, yes, that is correct.

56 minutes ago, Helen said:

If yes, make sure that the share on the desktop where the photos are backed up, has option "Overwrite any changed files" enabled. 

You're a genius!

Thanks. Now I am curious about what changed those files - this process is the only thing that uses that folder, except for backups (CrashPlan, Todo).

It's pretty much likely that those backup software did change files' hash. I'm not sure if they have a kind of a log where you can check their activity and see if they indeed touch the files. 

Also, you can try lsof in Terminal (command "lsof | grep filename", without quotes), but that will show only current usage of files. or a GUI version of it - What's keeping me app .

So I thought these were separate issues, but now I'm not so sure.  

When I started to sync tonight, the machine I do the camera backup was disconnected. When I check it, I found this: 

Now even though I have the iOS backup connected, and overwrite enabled, it's stuck on connecting again. 

On 6/1/2016 at 9:50 AM, Helen said:

I assume you're talking about Camera backup on the iOS - is it here where you see "Connecting"? If yes, make sure that the share on the desktop where the photos are backed up, has option "Overwrite any changed files" enabled. 

I don't know that this applies to the ticket that I opened, so I am going to post it here:

"Overwrite any changed files" does not work as a solution for me. Once these are backed up, I move and sort the images. However, with "Overwrite any changed files" enabled, now on every sync, these files are backed up again, so that now I have tons of duplicate files - the ones in the backup and the ones that have been moved.

I used the backup feature for 2 months without "Overwrite any changed files" enabled and it worked exactly how I need it to, there has to be another way to make this work.

Edited by laurin1

8 minutes ago, laurin1 said:

with "Overwrite any changed files" enabled, now on every sync, these files are backed up again, s

actually this is how "Overwrite" option works - if anything changes on RO folder, the files are re-downloaded from RW peer. You move the files away from RO backup folder = files deleted, so the files are re-downloaded again. 

You can disable it, but then you will observe 'Connecting' in ui on iOS.

Just now, Helen said:

You can disable it, but then you will observe 'Connecting' in ui on iOS.

But that's what I am saying, I had it disabled for 2 months and it worked perfectly. I just disabled it again, and now it's working again.

iOS will say "Connecting" if on desktop there is an updated == invalidated file. Unless 'Overwrite" is ON, "Connecting" will persist. If there is no such, then you won't see that, regardless of "Overwrite " being off or on. 

So apparently there was some other invalidated file that stuck and caused that problem before.

• 1 month later...
On 6/14/2016 at 7:41 AM, Helen said:

Looks like, but again, there are some Ifs. we need to double check that on our side. 

"lfs"? What do you mean?

Anyway, that does not work. My iPhone is doing that again. I removed all files from the folder it's syncing to, but that did not fix it. Still just says Connecting....

iOS will say 'Connecting' if on desktop there is an invalidated file - the file that has changed after backup. Even if you delete this file afterwards, iOS will still say Connecting. a file gets invalidated if its content changes, if there is anew file of if there is a delete file in the folder on desktop. So you say that you move the backed up photos. IF a file got invalidated before it, ios will stuck on Connecting.