MF14477

Android Disconnecting Sync Folders

Hi..  I use Sync on my Android Samsung Galaxy S4, my wife's Samsung Galaxy Note 3 & a Galaxy Tab S to backup photos, and also to sync a file of music between devices, and selective sync some photos and documents (I have a pro license) - I also use Sync on a 2 desktop computers and three laptops (all Windows 10).  All devices are kept up to date. A few days ago the Android devices stopped backing up, and although sync is still running all the folders are listed as disconnected and the camera backup isn't present.  If I restart the camera backup it creates a new file and starts from scratch (which is a large upload!!), and if I try and link any of the folders again - same issue - it creates a new folder even though the original is still present on the SD card.  Any thoughts would be appreciated as to what has happened and how I can prevent it.. otherwise I am going to be spending a lot of time re-syncing and have DCIM (9999) in no time!!

1) After re-enabling backup on the phone, and getting another DCIM (X) on the desktop, immediately disconnect it on desktop on Sync, and connect again pointing to the already existing DCIM with already synced files. For that you will need Pro or at least Trial. Enable "Overwrite any changed files" option in share prefs on desktop. 

Another way out: when enabling bakcup on the phone, do not pick the device to automatically backup the files there, instead share the link to backup manually (on the view with list of devices there is a share button in the right upper corner. Paste the link to "Manual Connection" field on desktop and pick the existing DCIM. 

2) as for why folders get disconnected - the most likely reason it that Sync is either crashes or is quit incorrectly, in both cases just not having a chance to save settings. Unlink the identity on the phone and relink it again, or better even reinstall, so that the corrupted settings get cleared. 

I had the same problem. Twice. I think the Android version needs and update to make it more robust. Who cares if it crashes or gets shut off? It doesn't need to have a safe close to prevent this type of thing.

Tell the programmer team: Just save a backup copy on launch that you can fall back to in case of corruption. Then if loading fails, go back to the backed up version. This is what Microsoft Word does and every other robust software out there.