When I rename a file, it created duplicated

Robotnik

Hi, I use sync to sync a bunch of pictures between my phone and my computer. Sometimes I rename these photos so they are easier to find later, and I've just realised that when I do that, sync will make duplicated of the files, one which was renamed and one which was not. Sometimes it just deletes the renamed file and keeps the non renamed file.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Are you talking about backup from phone to PC, and then rename the file on PC ? Check folder preferences in Sync on PC , if it has option "overwrite any changed files" this is expected. 

If not, please give more details on your setup and steps to reproduce. May be one of the peers cannot delete the old-name file for a reason, needs investigation. 

The "overwrite any changed files" option is not checked.

In an attempt to solve the problem I changed it about a month ago to a read only folder which only the PC can write to. So I have 2 sync folders, one on my PC which is synced with my phone, but is read only, and on my phone which is synced to my PC, and is also read only. If I need a file I just go which folder I need and grab it

Unfortunately the renamed files problem still remains despite that. The PC version of sync is running on Windows, and the phone version is running on Android, which is using adaptable storage to combine the SD card and Internal storage as one, but I dont see how that would prevent it from not writing.

Is there any kind of debug logs or something which I can look at to maybe see whats going on?

Hi, yes, logs are here :

PC: %appdata%\BitTorrent Sync, files sync.log, and all sync.log####zip. Send them via this form and mention this forum topic.

Android: /data/data/com.bittorrent.sync/files/. same filenames. You won't be able to get there unless your phone is rooted, so in Sync use Contact support, in description refer to this forum topic somehow, send and agree to attach logs. DO NOT close the app for another 10 minutes after sending. 

Please mention which exactly file and on which of the peers you rename, its old and new names, to hunt it down in the logs. Thanks. 

• 5 months later...

I'm having a similar problem.

On a linux install of rsync (acquired from the site on 2017-01-04), I created a folder called "videos".  A peer connected and gained read/write access to this folder.  He added 2 files which I wanted to change the naming scheme of.  When I renamed these files, the peer started sending me them from the beginning.  Renaming them back to their original name didn't fix the issue. 

I've looked on several Resilio help documents, and they refer to many features that don't exist in the WebUI interface of the current linux version.  Since this version doesn't run a GUI, the renames were all done with the tool "rename", and I'm unable to access configuration of the Resilio Sync instance outside of the --config option (and file) and the WebUI. 

This doesn't seem like intended behavior according to the help documentation.  What steps should I take to resolve the issue?

Running version 2.4.4 for Debian Linux x64, remote host running a Windows version downloaded on the 4th.  Neither account has "Pro".

@zeuskabob

Robotnik's problem was that two files remained in the share - with old and new name. But from your case  I see that the problem is that the renamed file is re-synced? That does not seem to be similar problem.

Do you have Archive enabled on your desktop? Renaming is done via it, so with it disabled, renamed file will be re-synced

• 4 years later...
    • 5 months later...

Hello all,

We have been suffering from this problem for years and it really sucks bad.

But first:  In the above thread, both Robotnik and Zeuskabob have the exact same issue, they just described it differently.  After a file is renamed, Resilio will resync the old file name to the device because it cannot always tell the difference between "user deleted file" and "user has never seen the file before so sync it".  With small files this can happen quickly if peers are online so one might not notice it, so they might not understand the cause.  (Online state flapping of peers is a whole different headache i won't get into here.)  With large video files it's horrifically obvious what is happening.  We've seen this happening in all cases and our users are terrified of renaming anything.

Please say for the record what we need to do to stop this, or if it's just a failure of the software.  If "overwrite changes" is the cause, then this should be explained because on Android clients, it is default OFF.  Is it the reason duplicate files are so often getting created?  This setting is buried in the 'scary by design" area so I am hesitant to touch it, because come on.  Who on gods green earth would want file duplication on rename actions to be a default behavior??

By the way this does cause data loss.  When humans are renaming lots of files and folders while playing whack-a-mole deleting all the files that come back from the dead with old file names, they make mistakes / get confused due to the synchronize lag, and end up deleting files before the rename propagates everywhere, so then both versions can disappear.  For this I am very happy for the archive "trash can" backups. But still, why put us through the whack-a-mole game?

Any definitive advice on what we end users need to do to stop rename duplication (if even possible) would be appreciated.  It seems to be a wide spread problem and a default behavior.  In our resilio cloud are Linux desktops, windows desktops, android phones, and a synology NAS running the synology app package.  I'm not playing with the advanced settings, and rename-duplication is a constant headache making my users ask me to change providers.  Apart from this one horror show of a problem (and the client state flapping) our users generally like the solution.  But i'm being pressured to dump it and change providers.

Thanks in advance for the help!