Resilio Sync 2.4 RC1

RomanZ

Dear community,

Sync 2.4 is now available. You can download it via direct link. The build is a release candidate for 2.4 and is only available for community testing now. Help Center for 2.4 will be updated soon.

Upgrade

As starting from 2.4 Sync is released with different brand, it is treated by OS as new application and will propose you to migrate all your settings from old BitTorrent Sync (settings are backed up during migration). Start your new Resilio Sync installer (or replace and start new binary in case if Linux installation) and follow upgrade instructions if any. It is recommended to keep old BitTorrent Sync shut down during upgrade.

Downgrade

Resilio Sync will make a backup copy of all your settings prior migration into "sync-v2.3.7-1471003319.backup"-like folder (version and timestamp may vary). If you decide to return to 2.3.*, you'll need to manually copy the content to your storage folder, remove Resilio Sync and be aware of next downgrade drawbacks:

1. You'll downgrade to "Free" version and you'll have to re-apply license manually
  2. File association with license files *.btskey is broken so you'll need to apply license in BTSync UI
  3. Downgrade is not supported for Selective Sync folders (as all placeholder files are renamed to *.rsl*). If you downgrade and your Sync has Selective Sync folders, your files are going to be deleted on all peers.

Changes in 2.4

Features and improvements

• Sync rebranding to Resilio & migration from BitTorrent Sync
  • Implemented sync schedule (Pro users only)
  • Add ability to add selective sync folder from config
  • Show locked and unavailable files
  • Improve compatibility to OS X 10.12 beta
  • Give a warning when Sync goes out of memory
  • Indicate when Sync can't connect to relay server
  • Store all temp files in .sync folder
  • Prevent Sync from opening off-screen
  • Hide inactive peers for advanced folders
  • Allow Sync to listen all NICs when installed as service
  • Improve debugs upload
  • Minor UI improvements

Fixes

• Upgrade to Pro does not work on OS X sometimes
  • Sync crashes after adding a folder in selective sync
  • Sync replaces new file by older one after first rescan sometimes
  • Offline peers remain in peer list
  • "Cannot get the list of trackers" error appears on start briefly
  • Sync package does not start on Syno DSM6.0
  • Proxy settings not saved
  • Sync crashes when receiving invalid API request
  • Sync shows IP instead of peer name when connecting over relay
  • Don't add extra folder name to folder path when adding folder over link
  • Sync prevents NAS from sleeping
  • Invalid GUID cookie causes "Invalid request" page

Known issues

• License is not re-applied when restoring settings from backup

I'm a Pro user, and I've had some issues in the past where an upgrade didn't work and also where I inadvertently entered the wrong license name, so I have like two license files in my sync settings. Would it be a sound strategy at this point to just kill all my sync settings, start from scratch, and start on 2.4?

Running Sync Pro x64 as a service on Windows 10 x64. 

Stopped Sync Service

Backed up both Sync Users folder and Program Data folders.

Ran the new Resilio Installer, upgraded as Service. 

Within seconds the upgrade was completed and my browser was showing my Sync'd folders and correct licensing information - success!

Now to upgrade my other computers....  :)

@harrisc

Can you please give any details? What platform is it - Linux, Mac, Windows? What do you mean - recognized your old version? - is that you saw a message saying "There is old BitTorrent Sync"? Check your old storage to see if the settings are still there. 

I suspect this is a linux and rslsync binary just created the new storage cause it was launched from another location? 

@hungarianhc

License is moved together with other settings, that was tested in the lab and worked all right. Clean install will surely work, but the core idea of this Resilio Sync is to migrate settings from BitTorrent Sync.  So you can go ahead and upgrade. Note, that this is just a release candidate! And if you have Selective Sync folders, and would want to revert back to BitTorrent Sync for a reason, selective sync folder are not downgradable! 

@jfreiman

Great job, thanks! 

@harrisc

Can you please give any details? What platform is it - Linux, Mac, Windows? What do you mean - recognized your old version? - is that you saw a message saying "There is old BitTorrent Sync"? Check your old storage to see if the settings are still there. 

This was on a Windows 10 machine. There was a message like "There is old BitTorrent Sync" or similar. There is still data in  C:\Users\chris\AppData\Roaming\BitTorrent Sync

What is the best way to import the old data?

Chris

@harrisc,

First of all make sure that you have BitTorrent Sync and Resilio Sync both installed either as Service, or as client. You can manually copy the files from C:\Users\chris\AppData\Roaming\BitTorrent Sync to C:\Users\chris\AppData\Roaming\Resilio Sync. Do not copy sync.pid, BTSync.exe and .dll files. Before copying, better delete everything from \AppData\Roaming\Resilio Sync, apart from Resilio Sync.exe file. 

@xiaoyu,

please take sample process in Activity monitor: pick Sync -> gear icon -> Sample process. Save it as a text file and send to support. 

And does this Mac share the folders the same way as your BDS and Windows? 

54 minutes ago, Helen said:

@harrisc,

First of all mke sure that you have BitTorrent Sync and Resilio Sync both installed either as Service, or as client. You can manually copy the files from C:\Users\chris\AppData\Roaming\BitTorrent Sync to C:\Users\chris\AppData\Roaming\Resilio Sync. Do not copy sync.pid, BTSync.exe and .dll files. Before copying, better delete everything from \AppData\Roaming\Resilio Sync, apart from Resilio Sync.exe file. 

Hi

I transferred all the files and ver 2.4 seems to be working.

Thanks
Chris

I have been using sync since 0.9 (or thereabouts, so I am very familiar with how it works).

An annoying problem has appeared with 2.4. I saw this before with some previous 2.x version, but it got fixed a while ago.

ComputerA is a windows 10 machine running sync in user mode.

ComputerA has a podcast downloader on it - Juice 2.2.

Juice checks every 90 minutes for podcasts and if there are new ones it downloads them, some MP3, most MP4. These can be several hundred MB in size.

While it is downloading the podcast, it saves them as a .partial file and this grows until it is complete, then the file name is change to .mp3 or .mp4.

ComputerA syncs with ComputerB and AndroidA. ComputerB is a windows 10 machine running in user mode and AndroidA is an android 4.4.1 device.

What I am seeing since 2.4 was installed on computerA and computerB (AndroidA is running the latest androis sync version) is as follows

ComputerA downloads the podcast - c:\Podcasts\PodcastA\podcastA.mp4 - this happens normally and there have been no changes with this part.

ComputerA now has c:\podcasts\PodcastA\podcastA.mp4 (400MB)

ComputerB has c:\podcasts\PodcastA directory (this was created by sync), but nothing inside it

AndroidA has \PodcastA\podcastA.partial (7MB, 1MB, 50MB, just some size much smaller than the completed version on computerA)

Renaming the podcastA.mp4 on computer1 does not change anything, I have to copy and paste podcastA.mp4 in the same directory on computerA and then the sync happens, resulting in this- 

computerA - podcastA.mp4 & podcastA-copy.mp4

computerB - podcastA-copy.mp4

androidA - podcastA-copy.mp4

As I mentioned earlier, this was something that I saw in an earlier version, but got fixed quite quickly, but now it is back again.

Any ideas?

Hi, 

I will certainly test the exclusion of .partial files.

I just checkedagain this morning and found another case of this. Logging in to computerA, i caught a pop-up message saying "Sync of Windows Weekly.mp4 failed as the file is locked".

I guess this makes sense - if sync is trying to sync the .partial and then the podcast app tries to rename it, or simply that sync is trying to sync a file which is still in use (the podcast app is still writing to it), then we can end up with sync and the podcast app both trying to access the file.

I will let you know how i get on excluding the .partial.

Thanks for the idea...

Thanks @GreatMarko @Helen,

the ignore *.partial works like a charm.

Just wondering if any one is seeing another change in behaviour...

Again, same setup. A 400MB mp4 file is downloaded from the internet to computerA. The sync interface shows that computerA is sending the file to computerB and likewise computerB interface shows that it is receiving a file from computerA. The network usage (task manager) also confirms that data is being transferred. However, there is no file placeholder on computerB until the file finishes. I used to see an icon with a blue circle showing the progress of the file, but now there is nothing, then ping the file appears in its entirety on computerB

I don't mind too much, as the transfer does happen, it was just nice to see the progress.

PS. AndroidA does show the progress, which makes sense considering that the android client hasn't changed.

This line from the release notes...

• Sync replaces new file by older one after first rescan sometimes

Can you elaborate on this further please?  what does "first rescan" mean?

I have selected a large folder on a shared Mac fileserver as the source of a sync.  I'm syncing it to another machine, just for testing at this point.  Some users who interact with files on the Mac fileserver (I mean, they mount the volume and add/change files - they are not running Sync at this point), have reported some odd behaviour.  several people have reported several file that they have recently modified have mysteriously reverted to a prior revision.  I have no way of knowing how many files have reverted - my sense is maybe 10% of files recently modified are reverting to their prior state, and 90% are saving just fine.  Just a guess really, based on user feedback.

To be clear, i'm running 2.3.8 on a Mac.  I am not running 2.4.  

Am i describing the bug that 2.4 fixes?

@mr.canada

it covers an edge case when Sync was building share database on first run, that was caused by database being corrupted (not Sync related), and involved using xattrs on files. First run - is actually building the database, when the share is new to Sync. 

Not likely its your case. To investigate yours, please contact support with details about the workflow, when and how people noticed this happen, what are these files, how the folder is shared, etc. Also please collect debug logs from all, or at least two machines affected, and mention at least a few files overwritten. You can take the latest file version in share Archive. 

Not sure whether the problem i described here is a bug or something I understood wrong. Everytime I clicked on "peer list" of every folder I synced among my different compuers, TWO SAME PEER NAME always appear within the list. This happens on every computer.

The pics linked below showed what I am saying here.

duplicatedpeername.jpg

And one more thing is that 2.4 RC always crash after a while on my Raspberry PI 3B. The OSX and WINDOWS 10 seems got no such problem. I checked the log in /home/pi/.sync/sync.log, seems got nothing about crash. And now I don't know whether I need to downgrade to 2.3.8 or not. I download the linux ARM version. Hope to get your back soon.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by YI WANG
Adds some more content

@YI WANG

That FOOLMAN peer - what it is and what Sync version you have on it? Are you sure that you have only one Sync instance there running? Can you please send the debug logs from it, and from any other peer that sees it twice? 

As for crash, please see this guide on collecting crash dumps (see Linux section) , and send these to support as well, together with logs from this RPi. Thank you! 

2 hours ago, Helen said:

@YI WANG

That FOOLMAN peer - what it is and what Sync version you have on it? Are you sure that you have only one Sync instance there running? Can you please send the debug logs from it, and from any other peer that sees it twice? 

As for crash, please see this guide on collecting crash dumps (see Linux section) , and send these to support as well, together with logs from this RPi. Thank you! 

@Helen Thanks for ur rapid response. The FOOLMAN is a Windows 10 PC, and I doubled checked the Task Manager of Win10, only one instance of Resilio Sync existed. And Ver is 2.4RC, but that problem started from 2.3.8, which I barely remembered whether or not from earlier version. 

And yes, the double duplicated name not only existed on the Windows platform. I just checked my Sync on RPI, one of my shared folder got also double duplicated peer names, just like the pic shown below.

duplicatedpeername2.jpg

And I also doubled checked the proc list by command of " ps aux | grep 'tsync' , only one instance there. And this weird thing shown only for random folder, when I clicked other folders to check, only the folder above got the 2 duplicated peer name.

This time, the version of SYNC on RPi is 2.3.8.(For 2.4 RC crashed, i downgrade to former version to keep my files sync working.)

And yes, i would try to gather the logs and send them to you.

Thanks again.

For me the double names showing up in the peers list was because 2 of my systems had the same port number.

As soon as I changed one of the port numbers - the duplicate names disappeared.  I also couldn't change the port numbers without using a config file - I created a different post for that issue.

16 hours ago, YI WANG said:

but that problem started from 2.3.8, which I barely remembered whether or not from earlier version. 

And yes, the double duplicated name not only existed on the Windows platform. I just checked my Sync on RPI, one of my shared folder got also double duplicated peer names, just like the pic shown below.

Then this is most likely also caused by same listening port as ekim501 mentioned. we also had similar cases some time ago, reported, and those were as well caused by same port used.