Resilio Sync 2.4 RC2

RomanZ

Dear community,

Sync 2.4 (Release Candidate 2) is now available. You can download it via direct link. The build is a second release candidate for 2.4 and is only available for community testing now. Help Center for 2.4 will be updated soon.

Upgrade

As starting from 2.4 Sync is released with Resilio brand, it is treated by OS as new application and will propose you to migrate all your settings from old BitTorrent Sync (settings are backed up during migration). Start your new Resilio Sync installer (or replace and start new binary in case if Linux installation) and follow upgrade instructions if any. It is recommended to keep old BitTorrent Sync shut down during upgrade.

Upgrade from Resilio Sync RC1 is like regular Sync upgrade and does not require any additional actions.

Downgrade

Resilio Sync will make a backup copy of all your settings prior migration into "sync-v2.3.7-1471003319.backup"-like folder (version and timestamp may vary). If you decide to return to 2.3.*, you'll need to manually copy the content to your storage folder, remove Resilio Sync and be aware of next downgrade drawbacks:

1. You'll downgrade to "Free" version and you'll have to re-apply license manually
  2. File association with license files *.btskey is broken so you'll need to apply license in BTSync UI
  3. Downgrade is not supported for Selective Sync folders (as all placeholder files are renamed to *.rsl*). If you downgrade and your Sync has Selective Sync folders, your files are going to be deleted on all peers.

Changes in 2.4

Features and improvements

• Sync rebranding to Resilio & migration from BitTorrent Sync
  • Implemented sync schedule (Pro users only)
  • Add ability to add selective sync folder from config
  • Show locked and unavailable files
  • Improve compatibility to OS X 10.12 beta
  • Give a warning when Sync goes out of memory
  • Indicate when Sync can't connect to relay server
  • Store all temp files in .sync folder
  • Prevent Sync from opening off-screen
  • Hide inactive peers for advanced folders
  • Allow Sync to listen all NICs when installed as service
  • Improve debugs upload
  • Minor UI improvements

Fixes

• Upgrade to Pro does not work on OS X sometimes
  • Sync crashes after adding a folder in selective sync
  • Sync replaces new file by older one after first rescan sometimes
  • Offline peers remain in peer list
  • "Cannot get the list of trackers" error appears on start briefly
  • Sync package does not start on Syno DSM6.0
  • Proxy settings not saved
  • Sync crashes when receiving invalid API request
  • Sync shows IP instead of peer name when connecting over relay
  • Don't add extra folder name to folder path when adding folder over link
  • Sync prevents NAS from sleeping
  • Invalid GUID cookie causes "Invalid request" page

Changes since RC1

• Added localization
  • Fixed issue with trial license ending unexpectedly
  • Fixed Sync crashing on start sometimes
  • Fixed Global speed limit getting disabled after restart
  • Fixed Sync not allowing to shutdown itself gracefully sometimes
  • Fixed listening port reverting after restart
  • Minor cosmetic fixes

Known issues

• License is not re-applied when restoring settings from backup

Glad to hear you guys release RC2 so fast. Eager to test it right now. RC1 crash on my RPi, so it's still 2.3.8 on my RPi. Would be happy to reply any bugs.

@Helen

The Resilio Sync still encounter the crash problem if I use the old database(maybe b/c i synced too many files and folders?)

But a fresh installation would run smooth. So I gonna to re-sync all files from my other devices to see whether the Sync on RPi would still crash.

Update: 2016 08 31 12:18pm

I got fresh install on both of my 2 clients. One is RPi 3b, one is windows 10. The RPi sync runs smooth in the background. But the WEBUI could got no responding, especially when RPi is downloading and indexing large amount of files shared from Windows 10 clients. I tried to open the WEBUI from my iphone, the login pop windows is ok, but freezing after enter the user name and password. So what files you guys need to debug? 

Thanks for the fast releasing of RC2, glad that it would not crash any more, but not responding is also another problem in my respect. And like as mentioned earlier, if I don't run the fresh installation of my RPi, the rslsync thread may also crash. But that's not the problem i am facing with anymore.

Update: 2016 08 31 12:18pm

I got fresh install on both of my 2 clients. One is RPi 3b, one is windows 10. The RPi sync runs smooth in the background. But the WEBUI could got no responding, especially when RPi is downloading and indexing large amount of files shared from Windows 10 clients. I tried to open the WEBUI from my iphone, the login pop windows is ok, but freezing after enter the user name and password. So what files you guys need to debug? 

Thanks for the fast releasing of RC2, glad that it would not crash any more, but not responding is also another problem in my respect. And like as mentioned earlier, if I don't run the fresh installation of my RPi, the rslsync thread may also crash. But that's not the problem i am facing with anymore.

@Helen

@YI WANG,

Thank you for the update! 
1. See for .dmp files either in your storage (/home/pi/.sync/ if it's still that) or beside the binary itself. Hope you still have them from the time when Sync was crashing. 

2. When you see UI freesing, on Rpi terminal run command "top > top.txt" without quotes, let it record info for some 30-50 sedonds, hit Ctrl+C and send the top.txt file to us (this form), together with logs (sync.log and all sync.log######.zip) files from storage. 

Thank you! 

@Helen I got a question about "Archive" folder. I knew that deleted files were stored in that folder, which means to me that once the files from other clients are deleted, the other sync clients would also deleted the corresponding files but actually moved those files into Archive folder, is that right?

So based on that thinking, yesterday night when I use RC2 to sync a large amount of files between 2 of my peers, I found that about 50% capacity of  a synced folder (about 150gb) were moved into that Archive folder. I didn't surprise b/c this happened a lot to me. I just thought that for some reasons, the Resilio Sync could not handled those files or some errors happened, what I need to do is just re-moved those files from Archive folder and somehow the Resilio Sync got to process them later.

But yesterday, I didn't do that then just go to sleep. When I woke up this morning, I just the Archive folder is empty and all the files were handled right. So Helen, under what condition the ResilioSync would take Archive folder as a temporary place to put files there except the deleted files? 

Thanks in advance. 

@RomanZ@Helen I know that this is not a bug, either a UI incoherence. On OSX and I guess on Windows as well the "My devices" ,enu is accessible from the top bar. On Linux you have to click the gear icon and then on "My devices". Could this be moved to the same position where it is on OSX to make the UI look equal on all devices? I attached 2 Screenshots.

Linux:

Screen Shot 2016-09-01 at 14.18.11.png

OSX:

Screen Shot 2016-09-01 at 14.21.32.png

I found another "error" in the webconsole (Firefox and Chrome) for the Linux Version.

start
Synchronous XMLHttpRequest on the main thread is deprecated because of its detrimental effects to the end user's experience. For more help, check https://xhr.spec.whatwg.org/.
init language
GET https://my.server.tld/gui/css/style.css 404 (Not Found)
checking browser
checking user terms
initing store and global
checking identity
initing main
onInit
GET https://my.server.tld/gui/version.json?1472712204748 404 (Not Found)
License FETCHED, Valid: true F.i {cid: "c5", attributes: Object, _changing: false, _previousAttributes: Object, changed: Object…}
app ready

@stonerl Hi, what platform you used as your mainly Sync client? The "mainly client" I mean here is that I thought a client could always be online, like my RPi is always turned on. But after 2.4.0, I always found that the CPU usage is over 100% on my RPi 3B, so I am considering use an old laptop with centos7 to be new "mainly client", which requires the laptop got to be turned on 24x7.... I thought the Synology NAS would be the best choice, but it really cost a lot of money...

Could you share ur Sync usage and recommend some device which are suitable to be 24x7 online in home? Thanks in advance.

After using RPi for about half a year, I don't thint RPi 3B is suitable for high I/O application, b/c no matter Sync or SMB, or even FTP service on RPi, the action of upload/download large amounts of files would crash the mount external HDD, which annoyed me a lot.

@YI WANG, your thought about file deletion and Archive is correct. Also archive is used when processing files/folders renaming or moving. If it's done on peer1, then peer2 will first put the old_name to Archive, and them pull out of there. It helps to avoid resyncing. 

@stonerl, My devices was never there, it's designed this way. These css missing are not critical and just remain from previous Sync versions. Ignore that.

@stonerlThanks for replay. I also got 2 VPS, on is location in the US, the other one is within China mainland. But the HD capacity is only about 20 or 40 GB, and price to enlarge the HD is not smart for NAS usage. So I just used them to be the PREDEFINED host. 

Yes, I use a Intel I5 laptop with Centos 7, and a 1TB portable external HD with ext4 format. Now RC2 runs great with CPU usage about 40%, when it first start indexing large amount of files from my other peers, it also reach as high as around 100% or even higher. I didn't surprised and understand that CPU usage. But the bad is the Sync on RPi 3b run almost 105-110% of cpu usage all the time, even after it run over 30-40 hrs when the CentOS laptop's CPU usage already run as low as 40 or 50%.  I think maybe either RPi 3B is not designed for high IO, or the ARM version of the Sync got some bugs for program defeat. Yes, the RPi 3b is also got a 1TB external portable HD.

@Helen What do you think? Is this b/c the configuration of my RPi is not as good as the laptop or some other reasons?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

cpuusage2.png

Above is RPi 3b, and below is Laptop with Intel i5 and CentOS 7. They both got 2.4.0 RC2 and 1TB external portable HD, syncing with the same folders about 200GB.

On 2016/9/6 at 1:53 AM, arashb31 said:

Hi,

I am facing 100% CPU issue usages as well. I will dm Helen my logs.

Not sure what platform and CPU ur got Sync running on, my CPU usage lowered down after some time, I thought its either of the weaker CPU for RPi or the too many files to sync. Not a problem for my I5 and 8GB laptop.