Silly Question About Syncing

emptybe

Hi, I've got what feels like a stupid question about using Sync. I've got 2 harddrives on 2 pc's with mostly the same stuff on them but on each there are a few different things that I've downloaded separately. I want to sync them so they both have everything on them that the other has. i.e. I want to add anything from Drive A that isn't on Drive B and visa versa. But will Sync work that way or if there is something on one drive that's not on another will it be deleted?  

If you add both to Sync as "read/write" folders, then sync shouldn't delete anything that is on one device but not the other.

However, from what I gleam from your question, you wish to sync an ENTIRE drive between PC's? If this is the case, are these drives Windows system drives (i.e. your C: drive), or partitioned/separate drives with no system files on?

If it's the former then please be aware that:

1) Sync can't sync files whilst they are open/locked/in use by Windows or another application

2) Some system files & the Windows registry, etc are unique to a particular installation of Windows - attempting to "copy"/sync these to another Windows instance may break Windows!

If however, the entire drive you wish to sync only includes non-system files that are not part of your OS, you should be able to sync the entire drive without issue.

• 2 months later...