can't open Resilio in Linux via Firefox or Chrome

arjay

Hi - new user of Resilio Pro - just signed up.  It works fine between the two Win 10 PCs I have on my network but no joy at all on my Linux PCs.  Struggling to get things up and running although reasonably competent with Linux. I have:

1. installed the right version for (K)Ubuntu.

2. Started Resilio via terminal with sudo service resilio-sync start and checked it is running with KSysGuard 

3. Opened Firefox and logged in to http://localhost:8888/gui/ - looks OK

4.  Added a sample folder and given Owner permissions.

5. I have copied the link and emailed it to myself. (The email option does not work - just tries to open the email address in a browser??)

6. Clicked on the link in the email

This is when the problems start.  I get an error message from Firefox saying "The address was not understood: Doesn't know how to open, btsync is not associated with any program etc"....

I then tried 3-5 above with Google Chrome.  Error message: "Chrome needs to launch an external application to handle btsync:links." I get two options: one to do nothing (if I choose that, this exactly what happens - nothing). The other is"Launch Application". If I choose this, I get the error "Can't find application handle".

Resilio then adds the folder but shows No Peers and 0 of 0 on-line

Tried searching here and elsewhere but not much turned up.  Sorry if this is a common problem and i just have't found the right posts. Happy to attach logs etc if someone tells me where to find them

Helen - very kind of you to respond - much appreciated.  Actually, I did paste the links into Firefox and Chrome running on the Ubuntu PC. Maybe that was the problem.  I will try the option(s) you advised.

I must say i find it a bit confusing/laborious if, as I understand, I have to keep doing this for every folder I want to sync - it will take hours!!  Can I mark multiple folders and do it all in one go?

Richard

By the way - sorry, maybe I did not explain myself very well.  I installed resilio originally on a windows 10 PC.  I created the link on that PC and tried to open it on the Ubuntu PC - which gave the errors I described.

Is it necessary also to install resilio on the Ubuntu PC first before trying to open the link in Firefox/Chrome?

yes, of course, You need to install Sync on each device that you wan to take part in syncing. 
then on PC in Sync click on the folder -> Share, deliver key/link to Ubuntu, paste to Manual Connection in Sync there [btw, it's mentioned in the guide, see p2)], proceed to connecting. 

You need to do that for each folder that you want to share. 

Hi Helen.  Well actually I had not been so silly. I had already installed Resilio on an Ubuntu PC but had forgotten that I had rebooted in the meantime and of course Resilio does not restart on Ubuntu after a reboot. (I know how to do that I think, but that is for later).

Once I restarted it I managed to get a sample folder synced  between a Win 10 PC and a Linux box.  So that is a good start.  Now I am just wondering how to get all of 75 or more folders which are on the Windows PC to sync with the Ubuntu one without having to select each folder and then send an email and manually register every one on the Ubuntu machine.  That would take for ever!

Surely there must be a quicker way to do this? How about this idea:  Can I put all 75 folders in one new folder, sync the one big folder and then separate them out again on one of the PCs so that the changes are synced to the others?

Thanks again

Richard

Richard, 

The quicker way to do it, it to link Sync on different machine with one identity. This is a payable feature not available in Free version. With it you will need to link them only once, and then you can add a folder to Sync on once of the Sync and it'll automatically appear on all others. In Sync free you need to share each folder manually. 

16 hours ago, arjay said:

Can I put all 75 folders in one new folder, sync the one big folder and then separate them out again on one of the PCs so that the changes are synced to the others?

Yes, you can. But if you move one of the 75 folders out of Sync share, it will be just deleted on other peers, it will not be moved to the corresponding location out of sync share there. 

But if this is a one-time transfer of those 75 folder, you can add the parent folder to Sync and then share it with Ubuntu. Once done, remove it from Sync on ubuntu and re-organize the way you need. 

Thanks for the info.  I have taken the option to try out Pro for 30 days and, if all goes well, I will be taking out a subscription.  Presumably this will allow me the options you are talking about?

Anyway, at the moment I am just experimenting to understand how everything works but it is looking good just now (I am still using Google Drive with Google sync on the windows PC and my own way of syncing to Linux because Google don't have a sync app for Google drive on Linux. Hopefully I will be getting rid of Google Drive and replacing it with Resilio plus a daily backup to an external HDD.

Richard