Sync no longer syncing

PacketMan

Hi all, I have had a near flawless expereince with BTsync in a FreeBSD OS environment. I used a very old version for a very long time. A couple weeks ago I upgraded my three FreeBSD nodes to 2.3.8 (560) and I thought all was working well.  This morning I discovered that ain't the case. All three of my nodes have stopped syncing to each other.  Currently one is out on the Internet, and the other two are on the same LAN (same broadcast domain & IP subnet).  I have paused/restarted individual shares, stopped BTsync process, wait like 10 minutes, start 1, wait, start another, wait, etc.  No change.

In an effort to make sense of this I tried renaming a folder to see what might happen. Folder name was orignally "Sonny Boy Williamson".  I then renamed it to "Sonny_Boy_Williamson".  I got this result:

Server #1# ls | grep Sonny
Sonny_Boy_Williamson

Server #2# ls | grep Sonny
Sonny Boy Williamson

After 10 or so minutes I then on server 1 I copied the folder to yet another new name, and I got the same result no syncing:

Server 1 # ls | grep Sonny

Sonny_Boy_Williamson
Sonny_Boy_Williamson_2

Sonny Boy Williamson

Both Sync instances find the folders/files and say they are uploading to the other node, but there is no actual transfer of files going on. My LAN switch LEDs confirm there is squat traffic.  I am really hoping you are gonna tell me you are having an issue with your relay server or something, but the part that bothers me is these two nodes are on the same LAN and can discovered each other directly.

Thoughts?  What other troubleshooting could I do?  Thank a bunch in advance from a long time Sync user, and general bittorrent fan.

I decided to delete a sync/share instance on #2 machine.  I added it back in. Both machines started talking (LED lights on LAN switch blinking fast). #2 machine began re-indexing the folder. Re-indexing complete. Both machines stuck saying they have to upload/download from one another. Both machines still have what I showed in first post.  Really starting to wonder if I should have stayed with the really old version that I ran for ages without issue.

Sonny_Boy_Williamson
Sonny_Boy_Williamson_2

Server 2 # ls | grep Sonny
Sonny Boy Williamson

So it now seem a couple of the sync/share instances are okay, and others are royally busted. Not exactly sure yet but the royally busted ones seem to be not syncing or one-way syncing, maybe on a per files basis.  Only thing I can gather is the sync/share instances that are really large are the ones that have broken.  And it seems the 'break' is between individual sync nodes; meaning its not just one node that has gone awry, but there are issues between 1<>2, 2<>3, and 1<>3.  Still troubleshooting, but it only other thing I can see is in the history section I see stuff like CheckOriginalFile:No such file or directory, or CheckSuffixFile:No such file or directory.

Anyone got any ideas? And I'd like to know what possibly caused or triggered this.

Gee its quiet in here.

So I am pretty sure I have identified the cause of my troubles: renaming files including folders.  I believe this issue was stated as being fixed in an earlier release but I am using version 2.3.8 (560). and I am pretty sure the sync/share instances affected by this have a messed up 'state'.  So I am deleting my instances, and creating new (new key) instances. The first one seemed to load up fine. I will soon test by creating new folders (instead of renaming) and then moving files from folder to folder. I'll also try to make it a habit of organizing my file names before I put into a sync'd folder. And I also pretty sure this issue occurred only days after I upgraded to 2.3.8 (560).

I never got affected by this issue with the way older version of BTsync.

Well I managed to add back one sync/share instance without issue.  However my attempt at adding back in a 2nd sync/share instance is running into a thick stone wall.  It will transfer about 405+ MB of content (out of a possible 3.8 GB, which is one of my smaller folders) and then simply stop.  Repeat over and over = same results over and over. Arrgghhhh. Never had this with my way old version. >:( 

I'll tinker with this a bit more, but I would say it looks like this coming weekend I am gonna roll back to the old version. I've pretty much lost trust in these never versions. :(

....unless a site admin or other Resilio can convince me otherwise. And while on the topic, I realize I have not paid for support, but the lack of response from admins is a bit concerning too.  The top of this topic group says "Having problems with Sync? Found a bug? This is the place to post about it!

• 3 weeks later...

So I noticed a bunch of topics (including this one) didn't get any love from the 'staff', yet other do. Why? What determines which one you respond to? Or are you just doing the easy ones?

Regarding this issue I managed to get my shares up and running again. I had to completely delete them, and re-add them. And after a fair bit of more reviewing it seems obvious that the renaming of files (folders and or files) causes syncing to break.  Which is kind of interesting because in FreeBSD there is no rename command. We use the 'mv' (move) command. I'm guessing there are some Linux OSs that have the same behaviour too. It seems as along as I use 'cp' (copy), let sync finish, and then 'rm' (remove) it works fine.

• 2 weeks later...

Even though I do care to comment on what might be happening on your installation environment, i cannot tell for sure without seeing the debug logs from from your installation environment. Each case of "my files do not sync" requires individual investigation, since it greatly depends on the specific case. Without seeing your logs I suspect one of these possible causes