Dual boot

Bidule200

Hi everyone,

I know that I can't sync two folders from the same computer, but is there a way to sync a specific folder from two different OS, to another computer ?

I have a dualboot on my Computer A and I want to sync my external drive with my Computer B (also on an external drive).

Problem: when I setup the sync on Windows on Computer A, and then I reboot to Linux or MacOS, I can't resume the sync : the folder is already used by another Resilio Sync instance !

I desperately need a way to keep syncing my external drives, whatever OS i'm currently using... is this even possible ?

Maybe by tricking Resilio into thinking it's the same instance on both OS ?

Thank you

@Bidule200 There is a way to cheat Sync, though it is not officially supported. The trick is to use the standard folders and ensure that the key you use on another OS is the same. It SHOULD work and Sync will rely on mtimes of files during synchronization, although we never tested it in lab and can't guarantee it is going to work.

• 1 year later...

Hi,

sorry for hijacking this rather old thread but I'm facing the same issue and I'm trying to see if there is a way to sync the same folder on the same physical drive but accessed by different OSes (dual boot Windows / OSX). So far I have been using Syncthing which supports such use cases but the sync is unstable in connection with a Synology NAS. From my experience Resilio is more stable, but lacks this particular feature, so an extension of the feature set and official support or at least a stable work around would be appreciated (and would make for a USP in my eyes).

Unfortunately I do not understand well the instructions given above. What do you mean by 'standard folders' and where can I extract and replace those keys to ensure seeming identity across operating systems?

Thanks for the support

Sync has two types of folders( Standard and Advacned). Standard folders use key, Advanced folders - digital certificate. All Standard folders can be shared further on, no matter whether they have RO or RW key. 

Please do pay attention on the add folder view. You simply have to add the same key if the Standard folder on the another OS it should workeven if you get a warning notification. I didn't tested it in our labs so you have a chance to try this workaround.