Questions about Reverting to Direct Connection after Relay Connection

Greetings!

I'm new to ResilioSync, and I have a few questions. I'm on Windows 10 Pro x64, using Resilio 2.4.2.

1. Is there still a way to determine if a connection is being made via Direct as opposed to via Internet/Relay? I gather that in the past there were icons that indicated this, but I'm not clear on where I would be seeing those if they are in fact present. In my Peers list I don't see any icons currently.
  2. My Peers are reachable via a VPN connection, and so in theory should get treated as Local (which is what I want). However, sometimes the VPN goes down. During that time I assume that Resilio will switch to connecting via the Internet/Relay (as I've currently allowed for that in my settings). What I'm wondering is, will Resilio periodically try again to connect via Local/Direct? My preference is that it would switch back to Local/Direct as soon as Local is available again, but I'm wondering if it is built to (or if there is a way to configure it to) automatically do that? Note that I am okay with it connecting via Internet/Relay temporarily -- I just want it to revert to Local/Direct and give preference to that when possible (ie, I don't want to it switch to Internet and then never switch back to Local/Direct).

Thanks!

:)

Hello and welcome to Sync community! :)

On 11/22/2016 at 9:58 PM, syncingfeeling said:

Is there still a way to determine if a connection is being made via Direct as opposed to via Internet/Relay? I gather that in the past there were icons that indicated this, but I'm not clear on where I would be seeing those if they are in fact present. In my Peers list I don't see any icons currently.

Yes, you're right. The latest version of the app has the corresponding icon too. And the icon is in a peer list of a shared folder (there can be many peers and connection can be direct or relayed for each peer) as in old version of the app. If you don't see it - there is a direct connection among your peers:

Untitled.png

On 11/22/2016 at 9:58 PM, syncingfeeling said:

My Peers are reachable via a VPN connection, and so in theory should get treated as Local (which is what I want). However, sometimes the VPN goes down. During that time I assume that Resilio will switch to connecting via the Internet/Relay (as I've currently allowed for that in my settings). What I'm wondering is, will Resilio periodically try again to connect via Local/Direct? My preference is that it would switch back to Local/Direct as soon as Local is available again, but I'm wondering if it is built to (or if there is a way to configure it to) automatically do that? Note that I am okay with it connecting via Internet/Relay temporarily -- I just want it to revert to Local/Direct and give preference to that when possible (ie, I don't want to it switch to Internet and then never switch back to Local/Direct).

Actually it should track it. Can you try to use Sync as you wish and if there is an issue with switching back to Local/Direct when VPN is down - contact support to figure and fix it out?

Awesome -- thanks so much! :) That was super-helpful and encouraging! And gave me what I needed to take the plunge last week during the sale and purchase a Pro license.

Currently it looks like it is working as expected. I will monitor things the next time the VPN is interrupted and make sure that Sync switches back to the Direct connection properly (and if not, get in touch with Support).

Thanks again!