Locking files?

techineer54

After upgrading to Resilio Sync from Bittorrent Sync, I now cannot work with any of the files in my shared folders.  Opening any file generates a message that 'the file is locked by another application', even though the file is not open in any other app on any other machine.  As a test, I created a NEW file and immediately got the same message, even though the file was only freshly created.

Using Win 10 on various platforms.... 32bit and 64 bit.  Same symptoms. 

Anyone else having this problem?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a new feature - if a file is not available for Sync, it reports that the file is locked in UI. 

On 12/18/2016 at 5:23 AM, techineer54 said:

Opening any file generates a message ......, even though the file is not open in any other app on any other machine.

Sync reports only local files. So if you open the file on this PC, Sync here reports the error. It does not look at other machines. You can check it with ProcMon and see what process is using the file. 

On 12/18/2016 at 5:23 AM, techineer54 said:

As a test, I created a NEW file

How exactly did you create it and what is this file? MS Office, for example, loves to lock its files from others. 

I have similar symptoms:

1) Sync reports 3 locked files but when I click for info it only displays 2 files.

2) One of the files is what I think is a temp file created by Excel that no longer exists (also checked with "dir /a").  

3) It also shows a file I recently opened in Excel but is no longer open.

Restarting Resilio Sync clears things up.   Hope this helps in tracking down this annoying bug.

Rob

I have the exact same problems. Me and my cousin are sharing a folder with some excel/word files etc. And every time i open a file, edit and save i get this message. He does too. 

We have to restart the program every time we save a file.

We used version 2.3.8 before this and it worked great.  Anyway we can access a previous version while this bug is fixed? It's driving us crazy and we are looking for alternatives now. Any suggestions?

I found this site with older version, but im not sure if i trust this site: < munched >.com

I have a similar issue...  When I am working on an Excel spreadsheet, I will save it periodically to save my work, yet still keep the file open.  When I save the file, I get the Resilio warning that the file is locked; in use by another application.  This is clearly because I still have the file open in Excel.  Even when exiting and saving, I get the warning...

I am assuming that after Excel completely closes and releases the file, it is Sync'ed normally.  Is there a way to suppress this warning when the file is open on the local machine?

Just to add to the reports.

I am happy with the locked file warning - a good feature to remind users to close files.

However, since upgrading to resilio, we are having the same problem as reported above.  Despite closing files they do not sync and are shown as locked.  Restarting Resilio resolves the problem - or opening the file and closing it again also works.

This is a problem common to several operating versions in different locations.

It appears that resilio still believes the files are in use - and therefore will not sync.  

As there is no way for remote users to know that the file is "locked" this is creating a big problem with old files being opened and changed.

Thanks 

I am confirming as well, that since we have updated to the latest version of Resilio Sync 2.4.4, we have been experiencing similar issues described in this thread with locked files and ultimately many files not syncing over.

@Helen are you and the team currently working on a patch to resolve this issue?  Please let us know as this has been disruptive to our work environment.

Thank you for your time!

@Helen

I also want to report that prior to the latest product update my syncing infrastructure has been working flawlessly.  I can't really say that anymore as I am getting similar problems as reported in this thread above by other users.  When I sync files I am now getting a "locked file" message and later says this file is in use by another application.  These error messages ultimately prevent me from cleanly syncing files across my current infrastructure/network. In addition, I notice that these syncing issues arise only when I place brand new downloaded files into my shared folders as opposed to going into current files that I already have in there and making edits to them. Mainly the file types I am have syncing issues (locked files) with are Microsoft Excel and CSV format ones.

My questions are as follows, are you acknowledging that this problem exists?

What is your team doing in correcting the problem if anything?

Please let us know.

Thanks,
Amir

Amir,

I'm not sure what problem you mean. In latest Sync v, 2.4.4 a feature was implemented - reporting the list of locked files in UI. That was done after a number of requests., and before v.2.4.4 Sync didn't report that. 
Is that the problem that you mean? If yes, then I don't think it'll be removed. But we will revise it so that it reports the locked files more accurately. 

@Helen

NO.

The problem is that certain files, I noticed mainly Microsoft Excel or CSV, are just not syncing. Interestingly enough other Excel files are syncing over, so this is inconsistent.

I'll give you an example. I just logged into my American Express portal and downloaded transactions from 2 different machines. I saved these files, named them differently and closed out. After this I got an error message and said these files are "locked" but I was no longer in the files, saved them and closed them out. The end result when I checked my root folder from 3 different machines, they all give me different results of their contents which confirm no syncing is going on because these files are deemed "locked".

Now do you understand the problem?

I just opened up a ticket with Resilio Support and attached screenshots but wouldn't mind your input as well.

Thanks,
Amir

yeah, I saw your ticket. 
The PC's kernel returns "STATUS_OPLOCK_NOT_GRANTED" error to Sync with reference to some .xlsx files, on AMIR_HOMEOFFICE-PC and LONG-PC. 
To put it simply, that error means that something is still keeping a handler for the file when Sync is requesting the system to open it. 
So the files are indeed locked from Sync, which you're notified of.

Plus, if they're unlocked, restarting Sync shall clear off the message in UI.

@Helen

I didn't mean their to be redundancy or duplication of efforts.

I originally started this thread as a means to an end, and ultimately find a solution to my problem.

Later I realized that I needed to escalate my problems directly to the support agents.

I wanted to interact a little bit more on here in a public setting to understand if others are also having out of sync folders or is it just me.

At this time, it has been quite some time and my issues still haven't been resolved nor have I heard back from your support team since last week.

I would appreciate anything you can do to help move this along on my behalf.

Thanks,
Amir

Dear Hellen

I'm using Sync Pro (with my yearly subscription), I got exact problem as JFDI AMIR and until now I'm suffered with this problem, some of the files can not be synced, I have to manually check file one by one from my PC laptop then copy to the USB and paste onto my Mac Pro 2013. I got this problem after upgrading to Resilio Sync for bot my Mac Pro and my new Window 10 laptop. As a customer of Bittorent Sync we request your team to take a deep look on this issue and to solve the problem ASAP

The team will look into how Sync reports Locked files. But again, the error message itself is not the cause for file not syncing. 

@JFDI Amir,

your ticket is not neglected and being worked on. However, I don't think Sync has anything else to do there until the files in unlocked. As was mentioned, kernel says that it's locked. Thus not synced. 

My problem isn't the way the software reports locked files - I actually really like that.  My problem is sometimes after I close the program that is locking the file - it is still showing up locked within Sync.  They only way I can get sync to transfer the file that is showing locked is to restart sync.  So I know that file is actually unlocked because as soon as I restart sync it starts transferring the file.