M-Pixel

Benefits of Journaling

There are a number of posts that recommend disabling journaling for those who are experiencing high disk use from the .journal files. I was wondering what the side-effects are of doing so. The feature is there and turned on be default for a reason, clearly, but what is that reason? I'm familiar with filesystem journaling in terms of the filesystem itself, however I'm not certain what functionality it provides in the case of Sync in particular. In addition, I have a few specific impact questions below:

• Will disabling journaling increase or decrease the general performance of Sync?
  • Apart from disk space, does it increase or decrease system resource usage? (CPU/RAM/IO)
  • Does disabling it increase the likelihood of file conflicts?

On 12/24/2016 at 7:40 PM, M-Pixel said:

Will disabling journaling increase or decrease the general performance of Sync?

Technically yes, it will increase, but it may be not visible for your eye.

Apart from disk space, does it increase or decrease system resource usage? (CPU/RAM/IO)

Yes, it should decrease.

Does disabling it increase the likelihood of file conflicts?

No, these things are not associated with each other. 

Interesting, so if it doesn't increase performance, doesn't save resources, and doesn't provide extra robustness, then what is the point of having it?

Does it decrease the likeliness of corrupt database if Sync crashes?

@Gane O'dwyer I'm still interested in learning the answer to this question, too. Could you please discuss it here instead of in a private Zendesk issue?

Is it just another category of loggable information, or does it actually augment functionality? If so, how?

Journals are used to store some service information in them (logging of the events per folder). You can disable journaling: gear button -> preferences -> advanced -> open power user preferences -> enable journaling - > false.

The .log and log.zip files  are the logging of overall Sync activity - connections with other peers, calls to the system, plus all the journals. 
You can disable logging in Sync Preferences, or edit log size and rotation period in power user settings (option log_size and log_ttl accordingly). 

Also in the debug.txt file edit mask:

But you need to restart Sync right after.

I think this is beneficial for all to know, should also be in your knowledge base.

But honestly disable logging just doesn't work, the sync.log file still gets written and contains information. Especially ERROR information - is there a way to completely disable logging?

Cross-Post

@herbert I have investigated this case and found out that totally it is impossible to stop logging writing but you can restrict acess to write to this file by revoking read-write permissions and another solution is to edit log size and rotation period in power user settings (option log_size and log_ttl accordingly). Just set for both option '1' then restart the app. The size of the sync.log file will be 1MB only.