automatic transfer initiation on a NAS

Hi,

I need to collect gigantic folders of raw videos from my clients. I am opening an online video editing service. The folders will be around 250 GB on average per client.

I am seriously considering using resilio sync for this job. I would run my Resilio on my NAS. My clients would send me emails with read-only links to the folders with their video files.

I want the resillio transfers to start automatically on my NAS, right after the client would send me the link. 

How could I set it up? Which NAS would you recommend for this? Any software? Any additional hardware like a raspberry pi?

I see several solutions to this task, each has its own cons and pros:

1. Buy API key. Having API key, you can add folders via API on your NAS and order to download files immediately.
PROs: flexibility. Having API you can control almost everything on in Sync on your NAS.
CONs: additional cost for API, API only works with Keys, not with links so you need secure channel to get keys from your clients.

2. Use shellscript to start new instance of Sync for each folder you receive. Start each new instance with separate config file, which has folder pre-configured.
PROs: no additional costs as in API keys, easy to implement.
CONs: configs only work with Keys, not with links.

3. Run separate instance for each customer. Link instance to each customer's my devices and set default folder behavior as "Synced" on NAS. All the folders your customers add will automatically arrive to appropriate instance and sync.
PROs: highly automated. No additional scripting required
CONs: you have to link each instance with every customer. Also, they won't be able to share RO with you, only Owner type of access.

We can't recommend any particular vendor as it might look as advertising. I hope community will share their experience.

For the HW configuration of the NAS - it depends on amount of files and folders synchronized, as well as amount of peers planned. Here are some approximate guidelines:

1) RAM. The more files you sync, the more memory demanded. As a rule of thumb, count for 1.5-2Kb of data per file/folder (no matter of the file size). Also note, that some RAM space is always consumed by OS itself, so "256MB RAM" in specification doesn't mead that you get 256MB for the apps running on NAS. If no enough RAM, Sync will swap a lot, losing performance of files delivery.
2) CPU. The more data you get, the longer initial indexing will last. No precise numbers here. The more peers connect, the more CPU load is to keep encrypted connections. If CPU is low-profile, initial indexing will last longer. If many peers connect to low-profile CPU, the data transfer may stop completely as Sync will spend all resources on secure connections maintenance.

Hope it helps.