petterah

Asking for creation of new Identity

Hi. 

My Resilio Pro keeps asking for a new identity upon some of restarts of the program. 

1. This startet after migrating to 2.4 

2. I have 3 OSX (10.11 and 10.12) nodes witch is connected on one seat - all of the have during the last three weeks asked for a new identity upon restart of the program.

3. The original identity is keep in the application support folder. When i create a new identity the program makes a new folder with identeties. 

4. I have not been able to recreate to specific situations where the this happens. Sometimes it uses the same identity. Sometimes not. 

I have added my sync.pid and a sync.log. In the sync.log it shows non funcional shutdown and startup at 9.41 

sync.pid

sync.log.zip

Do you quit Sync correctly? You have quite a number of sync shares and peers, so it takes time to save them on quit. Create identity, correctly close Sync. And after that do not force quit it 

Hi. 

I might be, but during the 2-3 years I have been using resilio I have several times unplugged the power to the computer. The result have not been creation of a new identity. How and when is a new identity created? Is it possible to revert back to the identity existing in my library/application support/resilio-folder?

16 hours ago, petterah said:

How and when is a new identity created?

Sync starts, checks sync.dat file sees that there is no identity saves, prompts for new identity. 

16 hours ago, petterah said:

Is it possible to revert back to the identity existing in my library/application support/resilio-folder?

Unfortunately, not. Once you're asked to create a new, the previous one was not saved correctly. 

On 31/01/2017 at 9:49 AM, petterah said:

My Resilio Pro keeps asking for a new identity upon some of restarts of the program. 

1. This startet after migrating to 2.4 

4. I have not been able to recreate to specific situations where the this happens. Sometimes it uses the same identity. Sometimes not. 

1. This started happening to me after migrating to 2.4.1

4. I can recreate this by adding a new server to the sync and copying a few TB of data. Restarting the sync on both servers appears to corrupt or somehow invalidate the sync.dat file, which in turn causes the lost identity.

Do you recall if you had not restarted the sync for a while, or if you had copied large volumes of data before this happens? A friend of mine had a similar issue when he had 100,000+ files indexed.

On 2/13/2017 at 11:38 PM, ThePoet said:

1. This started happening to me after migrating to 2.4.1

4. I can recreate this by adding a new server to the sync and copying a few TB of data. Restarting the sync on both servers appears to corrupt or somehow invalidate the sync.dat file, which in turn causes the lost identity.

Do you recall if you had not restarted the sync for a while, or if you had copied large volumes of data before this happens? A friend of mine had a similar issue when he had 100,000+ files indexed.

I just ran into this same problem after syncing ~2-2.5 TB of data and I had recently upgraded to 2.4.4.  After restoring sync.dat, settings.dat, and history.dat in "%appdata%\Resilio Sync" from a week ago the identity came back.  

If any developers from Resilio are reading this, prior to restoring the 3 files, I saved the corrupt identity if it'll help get to the bottom of this.  

As much as this app is awesome, at the moment I have lost confidence in it since it can't be trusted to come back properly after relaunching it.  Good thing I still have confidence in my backups ;).

Hey Everyone,

I am experiencing this issue as well. I run4 Netgear ReadyNAS NAS Drives (2x 316 and a 2x 516) which readily sync about 15TB of data between them.

Since upgrading from BitTorrent Sync to Resilio Sync on the NAS Drives, I have had to Resync the entire archive from one NAS drive to the other 3.

At this stage, I have had every drive at least one pop up with the "Create Identity" Error.

I'm actually rolling back to the previous version of the software. Bittorrent Sync is just not stable enough at the moment to run these sort of Syncs. I can't have the NAS Drives dying whenever they get a little tired.

Any ideas on what the cause of this is? I read elsewhere it could be due to Existing BitTorrent sync files that existed in the folder before hand. However on 3 of the NAS Drives, they are freshly restored and formatted so I have no idea where they would be getting dodgy Sync files from.

Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Dave

Sync identity is not related to the number, size or location of your sync folders. Identity can be reset if settings were not saved on quitting Sync (force quit) or if new storage is being used. 

This happens to me at random with proper shutdown on multiple Windows computers and it has happened regardless of Resilio Sync running interactively or as service.  It has happened on older versions as well but most recently on v2.4.4 as well as v2.5.2.  I always end up having to restore settings.dat from backup.  This is a bug and needs to be fixed.

If you pull the power cord on your computer do all of your other programs disappear?  If you pull the power cord on a SQL Server, do the databases disappear?  Please fix this as it's making your software look really bad.  Modern file systems are transactional and journaled--there is no reason to experience this type of behavior--it's not 1995 anymore.

Where is the identity saved?

I want to make a backup and restore on every reboot, because I'm having a problem with this every 2 days and is too bored add again all my folders.

@hibrid0, that's a good idea and it's the only thing that has saved my butt in the past without having to redo everything from scratch.

To answer your question, it's wherever the Resilio Sync software runs from.  I know that's a generic answer but it can change depending on how you're running Resilio Sync (i.e. Windows interactively vs Windows as a service vs on a Mac).

On Windows interactively (you see the Resilio Sync icon in your system tray), the files are in %APPDATA%\Resilio Sync (hold Windows Key and press "R" type in "%APPDATA%\Resilio Sync" and it should come up)

On Windows as a service (Resilio Sync is running even at the CTRL+ALT+DEL screen), it's in "C:\Users\[whatever_the_service_account_name_is]\AppData\Roaming\Resilio Sync".

When in doubt, open up a command prompt with admin rights and just type "c:" then "cd\" then "dir sync.dat /s/a/p" and it should find the file and reveal its path.

I don't know where it is on a Mac because I generally don't use Macs.  However, the same principle applies.  Instead of a command prompt, you should be able to open up a terminal window and type in "find / -name sync.dat" and it should locate the file.

Hi and thank you, I have Resilio Service.

I will make an small script.

1.Backup Identity I want.

2. On every reboot restore the identity (if I add new folders need to make a new backup identity).

3. Start the Resilio Service.

And I think if this work fine, why not make it the Resilio Developers?

Just:

Resilio Start.

Check the identity.

If not exitst=>>Check if is the first time start.=>> Create One.

If not first time.

Find Identity lasted Backup and restore.

Check if work fine, if not restore older backup.

On every Add Folder just make an Identity Backup.