bismark

Clicking placeholder file while downloading removes it

With selective sync enabled, if I double click a placeholder file in Finder it will begin downloading it from a peer. If I double click the placeholder file again before it has completed downloading (let's say I'm impatient...), the file disappears altogether from Finder. Once the download completes, the original file is correctly shown again.

This is problematic because (AFAICT) I lose the ability to cancel the sync of the file.

Then why would you want to click on the file again? Double clicking will not speed it up. 
This is designed behavior not to show the files as it being downloaded. 
So either click once, or use context menu to "Sync to this device" 

Ok... I was being facetious when I said I was impatient... Let's say:

• I meant to right click to bring up the context menu to cancel the download but my finger slips and I double click...
  • I didn't notice the file had a little downloading symbol next to it so I clicked expecting it to start the download...
  • My cat steps on my mouse causing a double click...

Having the file just disappear until the download completes is rather strange.

Is there a better channel for reporting bugs like this? You don't seem very receptive to these reports of strange and unexpected behaviors.

Yes, I got your idea.  You can see this post to learn how to contact support directly.

However I don't think that this behavior will be changed as "hiding" the file, which is being downloaded, is implemented within general optimization of the download process. It's by design.
So for now a workaround would be to avoid double-clicking on the placeholder. 

I'm afraid no. You can cancel receiving if you right click on placeholder once, and while it's being downloaded and visible, right -click on it again and "Cancel receiving"