What is "Invalid Modification Time" error?

harryPotter

Check the system clocks on your devices and the modification time on the files themselves. Sync has determine that these files have invalid modification times (i.e. they appear to have been modified in the future - which isn't possible).

Correcting your device's system clocks (if that's the case) should resolve the issue, otherwise, you'll need to "touch" (modify) the files in question on a device with a correct system clock so that the files then have a "valid" modification time, and can sync.

• 1 month later...

On 2/27/2017 at 1:08 PM, GreatMarko said:

Check the system clocks on your devices and the modification time on the files themselves. Sync has determine that these files have invalid modification times (i.e. they appear to have been modified in the future - which isn't possible).

Correcting your device's system clocks (if that's the case) should resolve the issue, otherwise, you'll need to "touch" (modify) the files in question on a device with a correct system clock so that the files then have a "valid" modification time, and can sync.

This happens quite often on my computer, about 50% of the time.  My system's clock is synced and correct.  Resilio is the only app that reports this type of error?

This happens when I move files into a synced folder.

How do we reduce the amount of occurrences of this type of error?

Sync v:  2.5.9 (1088)

• 7 months later...
On 11/9/2017 at 3:18 AM, Helen said:

if you go and check the file's time in its properties, what is it? 

The time is in the future.  But it only changes after I move files into a Resilio synced folder?  If I move files into a normal WIndows folder, the modification time doesn't change into the future.  This happens about 90% of the time.  What's going on?

• 4 months later...
On 11/10/2017 at 11:58 PM, Helen said:

I'm not sure that simply moving the file to sync directory will change its timestamp.  Unless, there's the same file with wrong timestamp on remote peers? What does Sync History say about this file? 

1.  Remote peers do not have this file.  It's a new file that I move into a Sync folder.

2.  How do I look at the Sync History?

Thank you!

The time stamps are correct BEFORE I drag and drop them (from root folder of same drive) into the Sync folder (of the same drive).  But, after I drop them into the Sync folder, the modification time stamp changes to a future time stamp, which is why it has an error warning.

If I drag and drop the same file into a normal Windows 10 folder, there is not modification error.  The error only occurs when dragging and dropping into a Sync folder.

'm not sure that simply moving the file to sync directory will change its timestamp.  Please send debug logs from all peers to support and mention file names, and give details about these files - what they are, where' they 're moved from and to, how they're originated on PC. https://help.getsync.com/hc/en-us/articles/206664730-Collecting-debug-logs-

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/27/2019 at 11:31 AM, felipe said:

Hi all! Has this ever been resolved? I have a friend that's encountering the same issue.

He moves a file into a synced folder and it gives the warning about invalid modification time.

@felipeyes. it's necessary to check file modification time of files mentioned in history as invalid and correct it.

• 1 year later...
On 11/27/2019 at 12:31 AM, felipe said:

Hi all! Has this ever been resolved? I have a friend that's encountering the same issue.

He moves a file into a synced folder and it gives the warning about invalid modification time.

I'm running into the same problem on Resilio 2.7.2 on macOS 10.13.6. Sometimes when I move a folder into a folder that's shared with others using Resilio, I can watch the folder's date modified change from the correct time to an hour into the future, and then I start seeing errors and having files not sync.

For what it's worth, both of the computers that subscribe to this share are running macOS and are set to the Pacific Daylight Time time zone, and their clocks are synced to the same NTP server and are showing the same correct time.

I have watched the Date Modified value change an hour into the future as I move the folder into the folder that Resilio's syncing. I do not see this behavior when I move folders into any other folder.

I do have Resilio's Power User "ignore_mtime_assign_errors" setting set to "true" on both machines. I wonder if that has any relevance. I don't recall why I have that set to 'true', it may have been a workaround for some other issue I experienced long ago.

Edited by czyzczyz
realized that I do have ignore_mtime_assign_errors set to true on my machines

On 9/15/2021 at 6:03 PM, czyzczyz said:
I have watched the Date Modified value change an hour into the future as I move the folder into the folder that Resilio's syncing. I do not see this behavior when I move folders into any other folder.

I think I've found the source of my problem -- the new SAN which serves as storage for the files is a Linux box with some custom management UI interface that seems to have been set using only the Pacific Standard timezone and doesn't have the option of setting the timezone to Pacific Daylight time ("daylight savings time" means that those of us on the West coast of the USA are at UTC-7 this time of year rather than UTC-8). So the SAN controller itself has a clock set an hour into the future, and I don't seem to have the privileges required to fix it. Corporate IT is now on the case.

I'm pretty sure that in my case at least this is not exactly Resilio's problem. Though it does make me wonder how Resilio handles syncing between users in different timezones, I guess maybe it just normalizes all times to UTC, in which case the ones stored on that SAN would be an hour off.