Sync Pro Memory Hog! - Help! ...and Idea How to Find Solution

PaulJS

Love Sync Pro! First-time user x2 months. Migrated over from "LogMeIn's" Cubby. Never used their cloud-based storage. That's why I love Sync Pro. Does just what I need. BUT... VERY, VERY disappointed with performance! Program is a MEMORY HOG! Under Windows 7 x64 "Resource Monitor - Memory" typically using 2-3 million+ "Commit (KB) (i.e. 2,367,742 - 3,002,324 KB Commit)!!! Yes, I'm syncing LOTS of files within 30+ main folders across 5 different computers (all Win7 x64, but with differing amounts of memory) and ALL but 2 of the computers, the 2 with over 12GB memory, become absolutely unusable within 1-2 hours because they have to go to virtual memory in the pagefile.sys on the hard drive, and they simply grind to a halt. Only solution is to either shut down Sync Pro or restart the computer.

ABSOLUTELY UNACCEPTABLE!!

Never had this problem with Cubby! (Syncing same huge # Folders and Files) I used their "DirectSync" component ONLY, never their cloud storage, for over 3 years and NEVER had this problem. (Had to change, because like Microsoft Live 4 years earlier, they're no longer offering this service).

My suggestion... decompile the Cubby engine, see how they did it successfully w/o being a memory hog, and "FIX" Sync Pro ASAP or I will be forced to ask for a refund and seek a solution for my sync needs elsewhere. Simply cannot go on like this at present. I just simply have to sync this amount of data on-the-fly.

Thank you.

(PS - can upload log files if you like, but don't see how it will help. Others here in the forum have had similar problems with Sync Pro hogging memory and resources and have uploaded their logs with no help or solution being offered. Need to look to Cubby for answer and re-write the Sync Pro engine).

Sorry for the delayed response. Was away on business for a few days.

So, OK. Did what you said. Took a look at the storage folder and found a total of 94 ".db", ".db-shm" and ".db-wal" files. By far, the largest sized of the files are the ".db" of which there are a total of 32 which range in size from the smallest being 7 KB, to the largest of 1,495,679 KB. In total, all 32 sum to 4,075,371 KB.

Does this help? Give you any idea what's happening? Do I need to spend an average of $123 on each of the 4 computers I'm syncing to max-out their RAM at between 16 and 24 Gb to fix the problem? And, though a cost I didn't expect to incur, in your opinion, would this actually fix the problem? (Seems that Resilio Sync slows my one computer with 12 Gb RAM "the least", as compared w/ the other computers of between 2 and 6 Gb RAM. But, by "least" I mean that this one computer, with the most RAM, remains just usable, but very frustratingly slow, when the RAM is 94% full, as compared with the other computers that just grind to a halt.) So, not sure if adding more RAM is actually going to fix the problem. (FYI: No CPU issues on any of the computers. At idle w/ Resilio Sync running, CPU usage never goes higher than 10% on ANY of the synced computers.)

Finally, one last observation. I installed Resilio Sync in the regular way, NOT as a Windows service. However at times, when any one of the computers slows, I've noticed, from taking a look at the Performance Monitor, that in addition to Resilio Sync.exe using up lots of memory, Services.exe may also be using well over 1,000,000 KB. Then things really grind to a halt with 100% of the RAM in use! I NEVER observed this before installing Resilio Sync, and have made no other changes to my computer and/or installed any other programs. Any ideas?

17 hours ago, PaulJS said:

all 32 sum to 4,075,371 KB.

So these are almost 4 Gb of RAM that you see. As you might have read that database grows and that Sync loads all database into RAM on start. So on machines where you have only 4-6 Gb, database takes all of this. 
From Sync's POV - the solution would be to remove the shares from Sync and add them back. this might reduce the size of db. However, once you have a lot of files there, it'll grow big again.

17 hours ago, PaulJS said:

Services.exe

I don't think it's related. this process is a part of Services Manager and its main function is to just launch a service at boot, to put it simply.