Resilio Sync between Synology and PC for 2TB of data?

Hi,

I need to sync 2TB of data between a Synology with DSM 6.1 at the main office and one PC at a branch office. We need the user at branch office to be able to access and modify the files. The modified files would then sync to Main office and the users there could access it and modify it also. I've thought about using Resilio in order to achieve this.

The shared folder is 2TB. Would that be too big for Resilio ? Would it make the Synology's CPU work too hard too often?

Does it take long before modifications goes back and forth?

They don't have the Synology yet, but I like Synology and I'm scanning the possibilities.

@Jim_Lafleur It depends on hardware a lot. Large amount of files demands lots of RAM (for instance, 1M of files wil take from 1 to 3Gb of RAM, or DSM will drown in swap). Large volume of data requires strong CPU (otherwise, files scan will take ages). We've got users who sync more than 3M of files and more than 10Tb of data.

Hi Romanz,

Thanks for the answer.

We have 2TB. This include 140k folders and 650k files. 

Would the DS716+II be a model with enough juice? It has a Celeron N3160 processor (Passmark:1665; Quad Core 1.6Ghz with burst up to 2.24 GHz) with possibility (hacked) of 8GB of RAM.

If not, would the DS1515+ do the job? It has a Celeron C2538 processor (Quad Core 2.4 GHz) with possibility (hacked) of 16GB of RAM.

If not I think, price wise, we should maybe go the freenas way (or rockstor if Resilio is supported on it)?

Jim,

From technical POV both NASes can manage the amount of files with 8 gigs of RAM. It's harder to say about CPU power as it just affects the speed of initial indexing, consequent indices and transfer latency. It's hard to say if that is enough without knowing your demands to the whole system performance and without direct testing.

On 3/16/2017 at 2:58 AM, RomanZ said:

Jim,

From technical POV both NASes can manage the amount of files with 8 gigs of RAM. It's harder to say about CPU power as it just affects the speed of initial indexing, consequent indices and transfer latency. It's hard to say if that is enough without knowing your demands to the whole system performance and without direct testing.

OK. Can you give me examples of CPUs which worked well for 1M files in the past?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi, I just set up Cloud Station but is really slow. 

I was thinking to move to something different, I have the DS716+ II with 2Gb of RAM and I'm not sure if it will work over 70Gb of data.

@Jim_Lafleur are you using resilio? did you upgrade the ram? 

I'm going to use inside LAN non outside my lan but to enable admin user kind of bother me, in not possible to avoid or switch it back after installation?

I guess I should download X64 version, is correct?

Last question about the PRO license, since I'm going to use the sync tool on 3 of my devices do I need a single license or a family? just me but 3 devices