Sync 2.5 no peers

Hi, after updating my Androids and my Windows 10 to Sync 2.5 I am experiencing some problems.

My Androids are seperate devices (not linked to my account), but connected to the same WiFi. However every single of my 4 devices (Android 5, 6, 7 and Windows 10) right now sees no other peers. I rebooted all devices and my router/modem, but it did not change anything. Also I was never experiencing similar issues before, therefore it looks related to the new version to me.

If anyone is experiencing the same effect and if more information is required from my side, please let me know.

EDIT: After several minutes, the Android 7 sees the Notebook now. The others are still cutoff.

Edited by Mouserider

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, GreatMarko said:

Did the port number change? (Settings ->  Advanced -> Connection -> Listening Port) if so, perhaps your firewall is blocking it?

See also: https://help.getsync.com/hc/en-us/articles/205450205-Peers-aren-t-connecting

I never had to configure anything, yet it was working for all versions so far. It stopped just now. It's even not consistent. Sometimes the devices can see one other device, but in general not. Also an 2.4.5 notebook could connect to the 2.5.0 notebook without problems. Didn't try 2.5.0 <-> 2.5.0 between notebooks yet.

Edited by Mouserider

2 hours ago, Mouserider said:

I never had to configure anything, yet it was working for all versions so far. It stopped just now. It's even not consistent. Sometimes the devices can see one other device, but in general not. Also an 2.4.5 notebook could connect to the 2.5.0 notebook without problems. Didn't try 2.5.0 <-> 2.5.0 between notebooks yet.

Hello. Yes, we know about this issue and working on it now.

Just an update to this - I have no peers when it's setup to use only "predefined hosts" and "search LAN".  Even if the computers are on the same network they can't find each other.  As soon as I turn on "Use Tracker Server" then they can see each other.  I'm only having this issue with the one computer that is running 2.5.0 and my android phone after the update.

Edited by ekim501

@ekim501,

revise the 'predefined hosts' IP:port on both peers. basically tracker does only one thing - it tells peer the IP:port of the other peer, actually something that you manually put into "Predefined hosts". So if peers connect when tracker is enabled only, then peers actually connect to each other via IP:port different from what you have in 'predefined hosts'.

I only upgraded one computer in my network to 2.5.0 - all the others are on 2.4.5.  The predefined hosts were for 2 external systems going over the internet - they also haven't changed.

Once I updated the one system to 2.5 it couldn't connect to any computer including the systems on the LAN.  All the other computers running 2.4.5 can see each other with exactly the same settings.  I never had to setup predefined hosts for computers that are on the same LAN before - shouldn't they just find each other with the "search LAN" option checked off?

Right now every system is setup the same way - they have "Search LAN" checked off and "Use Predefined Hosts" for the 2 computers that are over the internet.  Only the system running 2.5 with these settings cannot connect to any peer - I have to select "Use tracker server" for them to start connecting.

Just to make sure it wasn't a problem with that one computer I upgrading to 2.5.0 - I upgraded another system on the same network to 2.5.1 and this system is also having the same issues.  It can't find any other peers unless the "Use tracker server" is checked.

I then downgraded that computer to 2.4.5 and all the peers started working again without using the tracker server.

Made the mistake of clicking on my Windows 2.44's CHECK NOW button, and in upgrading to 2.5.2 this computer disappeared from my iOS devices as a peer and would no longer participate in syncing. I managed to find an old 2.4.1 download and re-installed, and it wanted to update to 2.4.4 so I let it and I am back to normal again thankfully.

For me, Resiilio Sync "just works" and so I am not an expert at it, but it seems to me the devs need to do a better job with updates because it is panic time when the system stops working as this. It would be nice also (and maybe someone can point me) if there was a versions download page somewhere so one wouldn't have to rely upon one's own download files to recover to an older version, as I had to in this case.

1 hour ago, tomtx said:

Made the mistake of clicking on my Windows 2.44's CHECK NOW button, and in upgrading to 2.5.2 this computer disappeared from my iOS devices as a peer and would no longer participate in syncing. I managed to find an old 2.4.1 download and re-installed, and it wanted to update to 2.4.4 so I let it and I am back to normal again thankfully.

For me, Resiilio Sync "just works" and so I am not an expert at it, but it seems to me the devs need to do a better job with updates because it is panic time when the system stops working as this. It would be nice also (and maybe someone can point me) if there was a versions download page somewhere so one wouldn't have to rely upon one's own download files to recover to an older version, as I had to in this case.

2.4.5 is right here on their forums, it's the last version that actually works properly that I know of.

Same issue here. I recently upgraded my Linux server and clients and got resilio sync updated to 2.5.2. My desktop/server clients are not able to see each other. The strange thing is, that my iPhone sees both of them (at the same time) and they see my iPhone, but they can't see each other. Tried it with two Windows clients. Both were 2.4.5. initially and they were able to see (and sync with) ONE (not the other) 2.5.2 linux machine. I updated one of the Windows machines to 2.5.2.. after that it is not able to see my 2.5.2 Linux machines, but my other 2.4.5 Windows machine is still there.

The last "we are working on this" reply is from 05/12/17.. Can we expect a fix for this (aside downgrading) till Monday? I really require sync during the week to work as I expect it to. I'm already thinking of switching to another service, breaking sync functionality during a update is just a No-Go. 

On 2017-05-22 at 9:17 AM, Helen said:

The release will not be ready ti Monday. The team is working on it. Thank you all for patience. 

I too used "check for updates" from within the app, upgraded to 2.5.2, and have no peers.  I thought it was because the peers had not upgraded to I upgraded all of them.  no peers.

if you know there's a show-stopping bug, why not disable the automatic upgrade?

13 hours ago, mr.canada said:

I too used "check for updates" from within the app, upgraded to 2.5.2, and have no peers.  I thought it was because the peers had not upgraded to I upgraded all of them.  no peers.

if you know there's a show-stopping bug, why not disable the automatic upgrade?

** Update **

I have 6 peers.  yesterday, I upgraded one of them to 2.5.2 and immediately had this problem.  no peers.  Stupidly, I upgraded 1 more peer, thinking the problem was incompatible versions.  that actually worked - those peers saw each other, but no others.  so I upgraded one more, who at first saw no one, old version or new.  Then I found this thread.

Rather than roll back to 2.4, I left it like this overnight.  to my surprise, all peers now see each other!

Could it be that peer discovery is not really broken in 2.5.2 - it's just really, really slow to discover peers?

On 16/5/2017 at 10:30 PM, ekim501 said:

Just an update to this - I have no peers when it's setup to use only "predefined hosts" and "search LAN".  Even if the computers are on the same network they can't find each other.  As soon as I turn on "Use Tracker Server" then they can see each other.  I'm only having this issue with the one computer that is running 2.5.0 and my android phone after the update.

I have exactly the same problem. All peers that use "predefined hosts" (in LAN or WAN) are gone. I do not like to use tracker or relay.