Syncing Thunderbird from desktop to laptop - what's the trick?

Henry

Hi All,

For several weeks now, I've been attempting to use Sync for mirroring Thunderbird from a desktop computer to a laptop computer.  Needless to say, it's been an incredibly frustrating experience.  

Both the desktop and the laptop are using Windows 10 and both versions of Sync are 2.5.1.958.

My idea is to mirror Thunderbird on the laptop to always be an identical match to the desktop.  For instance, if emails are sorted into various folders on the desktop, I would like the laptop to reflect the same thing.  For any emails that are sent from the laptop, I will BCC to my own email address and then filter those emails on the desktop to move them to the sent mail folder.

I have created a Read-only key on the desktop for the folder: C:\Users\Henry\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird\.  I then add that key to the laptop and within a few seconds, it starts syncing from the desktop.  Everything worked exactly as I'd like immediately after the initial syncing.  However, any changes which are subsequently made on the desktop after the original sync are never updated on the laptop:

• If emails are moved from the inbox to other folders on the desktop, the laptop never updates to those changes
  • If new emails are composed and sent from the desktop, the laptop also does not receive updates to the sent mail folder. 

The time and date stamps of various files on the laptop are being updated, but the actual contents within those files never appears to change.  

In addition, I'll make sure Thunderbird is closed on both computers for a few hours to give everything a chance to sync and there never seems to be an issue with the actual Sync program.  When running, the laptop always shows 1 of 1 Peers Online, as well as showing Indexing and Receiving from time to time in the Status column.  I don't know what it's receiving though since, evidently, it's not receiving any files related to work I have done with Thunderbird on the desktop.

I thought that by creating a key for the entire Thunderbird folder would give me the best chance of having an identical copy of Thunderbird on the laptop - emails, extensions, etc.  Since that's not obviously not working, is there another folder that would be best to create the key?  Or another technique entirely which would allow me to mirror Thunderbird?  Or, am I not completely understanding the intent of the Sync program and attempting to do something which will never work the way in which I envision it?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Henry

Thank you for the reply Helen.

Regarding the Peers list, the Desktop currently shows "627 files to", while the laptop shows "Synced With".

Did not find anything which really pertained to my situation in the list of tips that you provided the link for.  I did remove and then added the folder again, but it didn't help to resolve anything.

Several of the files & folders on the laptop continue to have the date/time stamps updated after a sync.  However, when running Thunderbird again after syncing, I still find that nothing pertaining to any of the emails or folders in Thunderbird has changed whatsoever since the original sync occurred a few weeks ago. 

In addition, on the desktop, the Date synced column has always been blank, but the Date synced column of the laptop usually shows "a few seconds ago".