sync speed on LAN under reasonable setup

Hi,

I would like to do this  thread to state the situation about speed and maybe ask a few questions to have clear answers.

So, I have a reasonable semi pro setup

on my LAN,  carrier grade equipment + cat 5E at minimum UTP.

several hosts, as NAS, LINUX servers, Xenserver, differents others hosts,...

So what I obtain generally is between 30MB and 50 MB.

I didn't change anything about the default settings. So the transfer are always encrypted.

Since we can all agree that the max speed should be 110MB maybe there are reasons for our general speed. 

So I would like to ask, when the interface indicates a speed does that count the part of the encryption in it or is it the actual amount of real data transfered?

if no, how much is the encryption taken on the network?

what other things should we take in consideration? Since on my setup and any small company setup there would be certainly 3 or 5 hosts having all files so able to transfer every files asked, why shouldn't we be able to transfer at max speed of the LAN besides HDD problems of course which couldn't be more marginal than on a setup with several hosts?

18 minutes ago, vigilian said:

So I would like to ask, when the interface indicates a speed does that count the part of the encryption in it or is it the actual amount of real data transfered?

Is there are difference? The size of the unencrypted and encrypted data is approximately the same (plus padding, etc.).

If you are asking whether encryption could be the bottleneck, then this could indeed be the case. There are two ways you can find this out:

I am not sure if Resilio Sync uses AES-NI. If it does, it is unlikely that encryption is the bottleneck on a modern CPU (assuming that both ends support AES-NI instructions).

CPu can't be a matter here, as I said, it's the normal speed I get on last gen cpu, including Xeon and consumer cpu's so the problem of encrypting and decrypting the data here is not a problem + for encrypting the data there is at least 3 hosts doing it so.... 

But if you say that the size of the data is basically the same so it lacks 70MBs on my bandwith, where did it go?

it can't magically disappear.... And so if you say that it's the same size then it can't be the bottleneck because of my argument about the CPU's.

• 4 weeks later...

Encrypting and decrypting will definitely add overhead and decrease throughput. How much depends on the size of the files, the number of files, and the CPU's of each side.

There is very little CPU used in network transfers with the NIC doing a lot of the offloading.  With encryption the CPU has to handle each packet a lot more than once or twice and uses up both RAM and CPU.

I would expect you to get higher speeds between two XEON PC's than a NAS and XEON PC.  Unless you have a fairly recent $1K NAS box.