[Solved] Sync Window Pops Up on Startup

skar

• 3 months later...

I came here to troubleshoot the very same issue. Resilio Sync Home Pro pops up at startup on all my devices, stealing focus from other applications, despite the /MINIMIZED flag being present in the registry.

I know this seems a minor annoyance, easy fixable with one mouse click, but this also happens on my media center pc, which I control only with a TV remote.

All my devices run Windows 10 Pro, all patched to Version 1709, OS Build 16299.125. This happens on fresh install as well.

On 9/1/2017 at 2:16 PM, Helen said:

Add /MINIMIZED flag to Sync value in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run key

I have to say that after some time the issue reappeared. I think it might have to do with Windows updating. Couldn't your devs store this preference somewhere more decoupled from windows than the registry?

11 hours ago, Helen said:

Fall Creators Update? please see it discussed here 

It's a new Window's feature . Either quit Sync before shutting down PC, or try the suggestions from google, like this or this or any other you might like.

I use plenty of apps that start in the background, whose windows I can access via the taskbar and they do not add a window to the desktop on startup. Examples: Backup and Sync from Google, Radeon Settings, Wincompose, Discord... They all have windows I can make appear via their taskbar menus, and yet, they do not do so unprompted on each startup.

• 1 year later...

The key was already set to MINIMIZED for me and I was still having the same issue.  The following did work, however.

After the Fall Creator’s Update, Windows automatically reopens apps that were open upon restart or shutdown.  This includes Sync.  To disable this, navigate to the following location:

Settings > Accounts > Sign-In Options

Scroll down to Privacy on the right and then set the following to Off:

Use my sign-in info to automatically finish setting up my device and reopen my apps after an update or restart. 

This will fix the issue and Sync will still start, but will do so minimized to the tray.  Note that this will disable the automatic reopening of other apps upon restart, if that is a deal breaker for you.

• 6 months later...
On 12/27/2018 at 1:26 PM, internalin said:

The key was already set to MINIMIZED for me and I was still having the same issue.  The following did work, however.

After the Fall Creator’s Update, Windows automatically reopens apps that were open upon restart or shutdown.  This includes Sync.  To disable this, navigate to the following location:

Settings > Accounts > Sign-In Options

Scroll down to Privacy on the right and then set the following to Off:

Use my sign-in info to automatically finish setting up my device and reopen my apps after an update or restart. 

This will fix the issue and Sync will still start, but will do so minimized to the tray.  Note that this will disable the automatic reopening of other apps upon restart, if that is a deal breaker for you.

Thank you, this worked.

Resilio really needs to ape whatever behavior prevents the countless other startup programs from exhibiting this problem. If users are going to trust Resilio with important information then it can't adopt the look of abandonware. That's what a year old UI glitch looks like.

• 2 weeks later...

This is not solved. This should be an option in the settings UI of Resylio Sync, not something that requires a change to global behavior in system settings or a registry hack. If google sync, dropbox, even my shareware audio manager can do it, so should this software. It has nothing to with the windows version: any of them has a way to start an app in the background on startup, i.e. as system tray icon. Whatever default behavior was introduced by a recent windows update, these apps found a way around it.

You might tell me it is hard to do with your current codebase, but it is certainly possible and expected from sync apps to start silently, without popping windows on startup.

Edited by skar

• 3 months later...
On 6/29/2019 at 11:57 PM, mcgroarty said:

Thank you, this worked.

Resilio really needs to ape whatever behavior prevents the countless other startup programs from exhibiting this problem. If users are going to trust Resilio with important information then it can't adopt the look of abandonware. That's what a year old UI glitch looks like.

brilliant!  This worked for me, thank you :) 

I also discovered that if your power button is set to shutdown, invoking a shutdown this way stops apps reopening on a reboot too.

• 4 months later...

Well it's 2020 now and I am still seeing this issue. Will this be addressed by a future update? I bought the pro version two months ago and I'm a little concerned that this is not really being addressed by the developers here. At least something like "we're working on it" would go a long way, even if it may be difficult to fix.

Felt has nothing been in the software for a longer time. The update from 2.6.3 to 2.6.4 was an inevitable patch. If you read through the threads, you will read about bugs that would justify regular updates. In this way it was used in the past. I see it in the Syncthing Forum that loyal Resilio fans are migrating.