Excessive Internet traffic

elandri

I use Netbalancer on my PC (Win 10) to monitor the Internet usage of my apps (as my broadband is delivered over 4G - I live in the sticks & it's the only high speed option).  It's telling me that Sync is responsible for about 60MB (rough average) of traffic per day. As the 2 android devices that sync with the PC are normally both attached to the same wifi network I can't think why this should be. I would like to get that 2GB per month back if possible. Any suggestions?    

I'm no expert, also just a Resilio Sync user, but you could try to optimize the Power User Preferences.

My suggestions would be:

folder_defaults.use_relay = false (default true) (you don't seem to have a use for a relay server)
folder_defaults.use_tracker = false (default true) (you don't need a tracker, because you have Search LAN enabled and sync over WiFi)
send_statistics = false (default true) (see bottom of this post)

from https://www.resilio.com/docs/Resilio_Sync_Security_and_Privacy_Brief.pdf

“Use relay server when required”
By default, Sync does its best to establish a direct a connection between peers to achieve maximum speed. However, if a direct connection is not possible, for whatever reason (sophisticated NATs, firewalls, proxy servers, etc.), this option will allow Sync to establish a connection via a relay server hosted by Resilio, Inc. and transfer data without a direct connection. This option is on by default. If your device is connected to another device via the relay server, an icon noting this will appear in the peers list. The relay server maintains full user privacy because:

• No user data lives at rest on, or is cached by, the relay server.
• Only encrypted data flows through the relay server.

“Search LAN”
Allows Sync to search your local network for other instances of Sync connected to the folder. Using multicast, this information is sent on the local network:
• Folder ID (large random-generated number)
• Peer ID (large random-generated number)
• LAN listening port
This option is on by default. If you choose to disable this option, either make sure that the use of tracker server is allowed or predefined hosts are configured.

“Use predefined hosts”
Addresses of devices can be specified for this peer to communicate with to sync this folder. IP address and port number pairs can be specified.

Statistical information from Sync is sent in the clear so you know what BitTorrent’s gathering Sync does collect statistics from the Sync application. These statistics help us improve the product. Here is a list of the statistics we collect:
• Amount of data directly transferred with peers
• Amount of data transferred with peers by relay server
• Tracker packets, pings, and files received by client
• Add folder errors
• IP addresses seen by the tracker server
• Client operating system type and version
• Sync version
• Number of folders & files being tracked by Sync
• Current total size of folders added in Sync
• Language preference set
• Application install event
• Campaign code (installed from website, promotion page, etc.)
• Number of share links generated
• Number of share links accepted
• Number of share links failed
• Number of peers the engine is connected to

Use TCPView from the Microsoft Sysinternals Suite and take a look at the detailed connections and traffic of Sync.

If you have an more advanced software firewall than just the windows firewall, you should be able to easily block internet traffic of sync and test if it's still working.

With the Windows Firewall you can block the outgoing traffic of Sync completely and add another rule to allow the traffic for the IP Range of your LAN.