Is it worth copying files before sync? ("pre-seed")

notbrain

I am in the middle of a large sync operation (~900GB) and was wondering if it's worth it to copy files into the synced directories to speed up the sync? I have a majority of the files copied to another drive, just not synced. Will this speed up the sync and sync will notice the files already exist?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

What Gane O'dwyer stated is correct, unless you get issues with a slow-indexing problem.
I do have a 8TB harddrive with 3.5TB files on it. The problem is, that while syncing, indexing also starts.
If you have the files already on your harddrive like I do, then it should only index if the file hashes are the same.
But, indexing 3.5 TB is already taking 2.5 days, and seems to be getting slower every hour.

So, it should be quicker, but that is not always the case depending on your situation.

• 3 weeks later...

if your directories are the same yes. But if they are slightly different then it will merge them obviously.

I had a NAS + 2x computers where I deleted some folders however Resilio brought them back to life (aka - it wasn't indexed as yet).

id let it run its syncing itself shouldn't be any harm... I had 3+ TB.