TonioDeLamor

Possible data loss with Selective Sync

I found an issue when using Selective Sync that can take to data loss in a certain scenario.

Computer A shares a Folder and computer B synchronises with that folder while Selective Sync on B is switched on. Copying a "big" file -let's say 4 GB- into the folder of Computer B will immediately begin the synchronisation to it's "master" Computer A. Choosing the context menu option "Remove from this device" on that file on Computer B while it's still synchronising will remove the File BEFORE the synchronisation process to Computer A has finished. This means the loss of that file.

In my opinion, there are 2 ways to handle this scenario in a correct way:

1. Don't allow to use the context option "Remove from this device" until the File has really been synchroniced, so the file will remain on the "master" computer as expected.

or

2. Allow to use the "Remove from this device" action, but apply it once the file has been successfully synchroniced.

Cheers,

Tonio

It was already requested, but unfortunately, not yet implemented.

forum.resilio.com/topic/42794-remove-or-disable-remove-from-all-devices-context-menu

On 11/9/2017 at 10:22 AM, Helen said:

It was already requested, but unfortunately, not yet implemented.

forum.resilio.com/topic/42794-remove-or-disable-remove-from-all-devices-context-menu 

Apart from this, which is already implemented, what about this:

On 11/7/2017 at 6:28 PM, TonioDeLamor said:

Computer A shares a Folder and computer B synchronises with that folder while Selective Sync on B is switched on. Copying a "big" file -let's say 4 GB- into the folder of Computer B will immediately begin the synchronisation to it's "master" Computer A. Choosing the context menu option "Remove from this device" on that file on Computer B while it's still synchronising will remove the File BEFORE the synchronisation process to Computer A has finished. This means the loss of that file.

Long story short, Resilio Sync doesn't check if a file has been completely written in a non-selective peer before allowing to remove it, so you get the placeholder but you have lost your file since no peer can provide it.

@Helen Any news on this?

2 hours ago, fink said:

This is at least a 2nd documented case of data loss / unintended deletion, and devs won't do anything about it. Don't get me wrong, I still use the soft and file placeholders are handy, but I'm seriously reconsidering other options... This is worrying.

ps. case 1: https://forum.resilio.com/topic/44112-rc-build-2601298/?do=findComment&comment=123841

It's not only a documented case of data loss. It's a fully reproducible case of data loss so it's even worse that devs don't fix this behaviour.