Send file then deleting them?

Polopollo

Hello, I am using the Sync home (free version for now).

Question:

I am living at A, and my grand father is living on B (I go there for vacations usually).

B has a Windows Desktop computer, and a 4Tb hard drive. (so lots of empty space).

I have a lot of files to backup there (from A to B). Is it possible (and if yes how to do it), to have both place (A and B) to have Sync home, then I place all my files one by one in the Sync folder from A, and once they are on B, to delete them from A while they remain on B, without my grand father touching anything (he is not tech at all)?

From what I read from the sync home web page, he would have to stop sharing files by files which might be complicated for him, or I would simply "stop sharing the file" from A and he would keep it on B (but I won't see it anymore from A, right?)

Anyway, my question is simply: is there a granularity in how I can access my files remotely? I see on the Sync home web page "Create your own Disaster Recovery site" which is basically what I want: To send files from A to B, delete them from A if possible (because they are on external hard drives and I don't want to let the hard drive connected all the time once data is sync), and still see them on B and chose or not to (1) delete them from A remotely, (2) or re-fetch them with granularity from B to A if I need them?

I hope I am clear on my question :D

Thanks for any help!

Ok I am still trying ot figure that out.

I see here https://help.resilio.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000508484-Sync-Home-Sync-Business-Free-vs-Pro-

then here https://help.resilio.com/hc/en-us/articles/205458095-Selective-Sync  and https://help.resilio.com/hc/en-us/articles/205457775-Synchronization-Modes

That it might be possible. However I am not totally sure that I can have full control on the folder on my remote B from A.

I think this documentation says I can access all my devices from one particular device https://help.resilio.com/hc/en-us/articles/205457815-Sync-Private-Identity-Linking-My-Devices

I think I am getting close to know what I want. Last step would be to confirm I can move a file from my computer A to far-away computer B, then deleting file from A without deleting it from B, all that without moving from A.

Ok I tried the 14 days trial but I am still confused.

If anybody knows, to summarize what I want to do:

I have data on an external HD on location A.

I want to send this data on a "inside HD always on" on remote location B (a windows computer, not a server).

The aim would be to have my data on 2 different points, but to control what is into the sync folder on B without having to always sync it back to A.

The documentation isn't super clear to me on how to do that

Lol ok I know I speak alone, but to do what I want:

Get the pro version (Which I just bought, after 5min of try with the pro version haha), then:

Local computer A

Remote computer B

1. Install license on both computer
  2. on remote computer B:
    Go to "My Devices" tab -> "Computer B's name" -> Select "Sync all"
    Then
    Disconnect all folders you don't care, and for the folder you care: set "Selective Sync" to Off
  3. On local computer A:
    "My Devices" tab -> "Computer A's name" -> Select "Selective Sync" (like this I have the choice of what to do on this master computer)
    Then
    About the folder you care: Set "Selective Sync" to On
  4. Then you can, from computer A, add a file into the folder. It gets automatically Sync to remote Computer B, then remove it from A once fully synced, and it is still on B!
  5. Even better, from A, you can see "shadows" (placeholders) of the files, and decide individually to delete them or not!

Insane! I love it! Thank you for such an awesome software! Took me a while to figure out this case but so much granularity! Thanks again for such a great software!

Hi

I do something similar, using the free license. I have a folder on each desk top called "Desktop Shared Folder" which is shared through Resilio Sync

I also set up a remote desktop connection between the computers. I use Google Remote Desktop.

So when I am sitting at A and want to archive a file on B, I do the following.

On A move (or copy) the file (or folder) to the Shared folder.

watch the History on the Sync menu bar, wait until syncing is complete

use remote desktop to control computer B to move the file from B's copy of the shared folder into the required filing place.

In the case you  mention you would need to tell your grandfather to ignore you moving the mouse icon remotely!