Please stop keeping deleted files!

jasondunn

PLEASE STOP changing the application to keep deleted files! I’ve lost track of the number of hours I’ve wasted trying to clean up after your app. It’s almost like a storage-eating virus! I’ve lost hundreds of GB of space until I dig into the hidden foldersa and delete it. I’ve used the Power User feature to set the storage value to 0, but it still keeps the deleted files unless I go into each individual library on EVERY DEVICE and tell it to not keep deleted copies. This is insane. Please let users OPT-IN to such a storage-hogging feature! Activating this by default, and not telling users this is happening, is doubtless consuming many GB of storage and people don’t realize it.

• 2 years later...

I've had this exact same thing. I was infuriatingly trying to figure out what was eating up so much space on my computer. I then noticed that tick box, (which IS on by default... annoying) and found the hidden archive folder, then deleted it. Instantly I got back tens of gigabytes of storage. So frustrating. This definitely should be an opt-in feature not a default-on feature.

I keep hoping that they’re going to change this behavior in a new software build. I keep forgetting to change that setting when I set up a new library, and then inevitably I run out of storage on one or more of my computers, and I am reminded that it is always the same problem. 🤦🏻

• 1 month later...

I think leaving it default enabled and 30 days is best for the majority of users, especially since you should always lean towards data safety by default. I've had a few accidental deletes on media files and being able to go to the other side, move it from archive back into the sync folder and recover is by far faster and easier than having a separate backup solution.

But they need to break out a lot of the power user settings into main configuration settings so that it isn't forgotten about and is brought to user's attention before they run out of space. Setting your trash days from 30 to 7 (or less) would be a nice trade off between catching the odd "oops" and running out of storage.