Configurable Selective Sync default, for new files

jamesl-rs

• I use Resilio to sync a music library across multiple devices, some of which have limited space
  • On devices with limited space, I'd like to exclude some folders, using the selective sync feature
  • But, when I add new music to the library, I want it to sync across all devices automatically
  • Just syncing the placeholders is partially helpful, as it lets me import the music on the selective sync clients using the file browser
  • But placeholders aren't going to show up in my music player, so if the new files don't sync automatically, I have to go to a lot of manual effort

Right now, when you add a new file, a placeholder will appear in all selective sync clients. I'd like to be able to configure the default behavior (sync the placeholder, or sync the entire file) on a per-share basis, when selective sync is enabled. I'd like to be able to do this by checking a checkbox in the 'Preferences' window of the share.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/24/2017 at 10:08 AM, jamesl-rs said:

on a per-share basis, when selective sync is enabled.

i don't understand this. Selective Sync is already a per-share setting - you either enable it or disable for each share. 

2 hours ago, threebythree said:

if you select to 'sync' a folder, it should sync all contents of that folder by default. 

it already does it. Select to sync a subfolder in Selective Sync share and files will keep syncing there automatically.

On 1/29/2018 at 11:05 PM, Helen said:

it already does it. Select to sync a subfolder in Selective Sync share and files will keep syncing there automatically.

Whenever we turn on selective sync for a folder, we should be able to choose whether new files added to that folder are downloaded  automatically (and we can remove them later) or only placeholder are added for the new files (and we can choose to download them later).

So currently, if we turn on selective sync for a folder, only placeholders will be added automatically, and we have to check each placeholder to see if we want to download it. The new, optional behavior would be: after selective sync is turned on for a folder, all new files are downloaded by default (as though it weren't selective), but we can choose to remove any file and replace it with a placeholder. 

I hope that clears things up.

I've just experimented with this a bit more, and it seems Helen is right.

If you right-click a folder, and select 'Sync to this device', its contents will automatically sync from then on (new files will appear, not placeholders). And I can't see any way of changing this back, so once it is set, you are stuck that way.

So it looks like Resilio does remember, on a per-subfolder basis, whether it should sync the files, or sync the placeholders. It just doesn't let you see this setting or change it easily. So I guess what I'd like to see is something in the right-click menu that tells you what the setting is, and lets you choose.

Also, I think you should add a confirmation dialog to the 'Remove from all devices' and 'Remove from this device' context menu items. It is very easy to hit the wrong one when using a tablet, and not notice until the archive has emptied itself.

52 minutes ago, jamesl-rs said:

And I can't see any way of changing this back, so once it is set, you are stuck that way.

there's no way to cease auto download, but you can right-click on the subfolder -> remove from this device . 

53 minutes ago, jamesl-rs said:

dd a confirmation dialog to the 'Remove from all devices' and 'Remove from this device' context menu items

Disabling  "'Remove from all devices'  has been asked on forum- , think it'll be doable in 2.6, but will require some fancy configuration.

it had some funny moments, however could not replicate twice. I am be off topic here and probably because of my understanding of how selective sync should or shouldn't work.

However Helen is right by default it should download/ sync all files. 

That said, Helen - can you confirm the following...

Scenario:

FOLDER A (selective sync)
--- SUB-FOLDER B (full sync)

1. In order to get Sub-Folder B - to be full sync, right click the place holder folder (this place holder folder - you cannot see any files/ folders below), and 'sync to device'.
THEN, you need to click on ACTUAL folder 'sync to device' in order for the files to download.
IE - you need to sync to device twice?
This means, all folders only get a PLACEHOLDER first, and until you click 'sync to device' - you will never see the place holder files?

2. Folder A: Anything which goes into A gets a place holder.
If you delete, or rename the place holder, it does what it does. (delete/ renaming)

3. SubFolder B. Anything which goes into B - gets a file synced.
- if you delete, you get the place holder file. If you delete the place holder, it deletes the file)