Power User Preferences for NAS and macbooks to periodically turn on Resilio as needed

Hi all, been using Resilio for 2 months in looking to replace dropbox eventually.

Objective: using laptops, sync apps such as dropbox/ google drive drain shorten the laptop's battery life quite dramatically thus i use Keyboard Maestro to schedule turn on/ turn off 3 times a day for 10mins at a time

I also wanted to see how people are configuring their NAS and/ or laptops in this same situation and any negative/ positive experiences.

I have the following setup:
   - Macbook home - 1TB
   - NAS - primarily for storage - 6TB
   - Macbook work - 1TB
   - Other family member macbook(s)

NAS power user preferences
   - enable_journaling:       false        - to allow sleep
   - config_save_interval:    86400 sec (24hr)
   - config_refresh_interval: 28800 sec (8hr)
   - folder_rescan_interval:  28800 sec (8hr)
   - sync_trash_ttl:          180 days for archive
   - log_size:                500 MB
   - log_ttl:                 180 days
   - enable_journaling:       false

Macbook power user preferences
   - enable_journaling:       true
   - config_save_interval:    600 sec
   - config_refresh_interval: 3600 sec (1hr)
   - folder_rescan_interval:  600 sec (10min)
   - sync_trash_ttl:          180 days for archive
   - log_size:                500 MB
   - log_ttl:                 180 days
   - enable_journaling:       true

i do have the following questions:

#1 - are there any potential issues with the above configuration which may lead to possible errors in synchronisation?
    - NAS has long save, refresh and rescan intervals (ie. This is used as a data responsitory and files are changed from computers)? 
#2 - each macbook/ PC uses Keyboard Meastro to schedule turning on/ off 3 times a day for 10mins - i am currently unaware of any potential issues with this in terms of syncing at the moment.

#3 - is there any way to get access to the NAS file versions from both PC #1 and #2?      PC #1 and #2 will perform the file changes and as per the technical guides, the endpoint changing the files will not have an archive/ version history - so how would i get access to the versioned files?

• 2 weeks later...

1. long rescan interval - if Sync's not informed of file update, you'll need to wait for 8 hours for Sync to start rescanning the folder. 180 days for archive - will take much storage. 

2. I don't know how Keyboard Meastro can affect syncing and how it closes the app. If there's an option to set shut down time out,  make it bigger so that Sync has enough time to save settings on exit 

3. not sure I understand. file versions are stored in Archive - you can get them all there. If you mean to distinguish between file updated made by pc1 and pc2, no this cannot be done. Check history and compare timestamps. 
>the endpoint changing the files will not have an archive/ version history
but others will do. 

16 minutes ago, Helen said:

1. long rescan interval - if Sync's not informed of file update, you'll need to wait for 8 hours for Sync to start rescanning the folder. 180 days for archive - will take much storage. 

2. I don't know how Keyboard Meastro can affect syncing and how it closes the app. If there's an option to set shut down time out,  make it bigger so that Sync has enough time to save settings on exit 

3. not sure I understand. file versions are stored in Archive - you can get them all there. If you mean to distinguish between file updated made by pc1 and pc2, no this cannot be done. Check history and compare timestamps. 
>the endpoint changing the files will not have an archive/ version history
but others will do. 

thanks Helen for your rply

1a. Long scan interval is on the NAS, and the NAS is a dumb(?) file storage at best? As all the computer has a 10min folder rescan interval - why would you need the NAS to have a short scan interval? 
- would this not keep the NAS continually awake every 10mins performing a folder rescan?

1b. Will be tweaking the 180 days archive. I suspect it will generate a lot of archive files; thus i lowered the file size of archived files for <50MB files as I generally work with documents. Does the archive support archive of certain file types only? (ie. WORD, EXCEL, PPTX?) so it doesn't store movies/ mp3s etc.
I do have 2-3TB of space spare, hence trial of extending archiving.. could be dangerous I know, especially where changing folder structures

2. Keyboard Maestro is used in this instance as a scheduling tool. I use it to 'open' and then 'force quit' Resilio - is that problematic?
I have found in about 10mins, Resilio has effectively synced any document changes along the day, and performing this 3x a day keeps it synced nicely.
I do the same with dropbox, spin it up for 10mins along with Resilio, then close it all off. Battery life on a MBP can be extended almost 2x longer as I sync a lot of directories.

When you refer to settings, as I don't change the settings on the NAS often and also the PC, then I only need a short window to 'sync'? If I do change settings, then I must remember to keep it open for a longer period to 'save settings'? Any catches to that thinking?

3. The NAS being the central hub, should have all changed file versions. What I am asking, is there any way I can get to those changed file versions via Resilio from the NAS? (I am not wanting to log into the NAS to retrieve the files). Ideally, I'd like those 'archived files' to be 'resynced' back to my primary computer (ie. How dropbox works so I can have a complete history of all changes).

hope this makes sense as I am looking to completely replace dropbox - however retain that archiving strategy.

On 1/11/2018 at 10:18 AM, threebythree said:

why would you need the NAS to have a short scan interval? 

I just commented on your parameters. I didn't give any evaluation. 

No archive stores all files, it's not possible to limit it to certain file types. Anyway, you'll be able to just manually clear Archive at any moment.

please do not 'force quit' Sync if possible. You sync a lot of files, databases and configuration files are going to be big. Forcing quit won't give time to save that properly.

On 1/11/2018 at 10:18 AM, threebythree said:

When you refer to settings, as I don't change the settings on the NAS often and also the PC, then I only need a short window to 'sync'? If I do change settings, then I must remember to keep it open for a longer period to 'save settings'? Any catches to that thinking?

it does not involve only settings, but also share's database, statistics, and what not. 

Got it. No, archived files are not re-synced.