Setting up Sync on a new computer - "New folders from other devices will be" setting is ignored

mustgroove

Setting up Sync on a new computer (running Sync 2.5.12, macOS 10.13.2)

1) Install Sync
2) I go to My Devices -> Link Device, type in the key of the other device I want to link. The other device is also running Sync 2.5.12, macOS 10.13.2
3) I get the dialog box to select how new folders from other devices will be handled, I select "Disconnected"
4) I manually connect 1 shared folder 
5) I close the Sync window
6) A couple minutes later I reopen Sync from the menu bar, and the dialog box from step 3 has popped up again - asking me how to handle folders again, even though I already selected "Disconnected". I select "Disconnected" again.
7) Back in the main Sync window now, but now every single shared folder is now syncing, despite me selecting "Disconnected". Sync has manually created a "~/Resilio Sync" folder (which did not exist up till this point), and everything other than the 1 folder I manually linked in step 4 is now syncing there.

So far this is what I've done to clean it up:
- Use the menu bar item to "Pause Syncing"
- Delete the unwanted "~/Resilio Sync" folder in Finder - this also makes Sync show "Folder not found" for everything that was syncing to that folder
- Manually disconnect each of the folders that was incorrectly syncing to "~/Resilio Sync"
- Go back to the menu bar item to unclick "Pause Syncing"

All the folders are now correctly showing as disconnected again

And somehow this went haywire again:

- Manually added a new folder on the other device to Sync

- It showed up as a folder on my new computer as expected, but somehow the "New folders from other devices will be" setting had been changed to "Selective Sync", and "~/Resilio Sync/" was created once again, and the newly-added folder was synced there automatically.

- Once again I had to set this new computer's "New folders from other devices will be" setting to "Disconnected" again, then I disconnected the newly-added folder, deleted "~/Resilio Sync/", then manually connected the newly-added folder to where it needed to be located.

On 1/21/2018 at 3:38 AM, mustgroove said:

5) I close the Sync window

apparently at this step the configured identity was not saved properly. Did you indeed just closed UI or stopped the process? I suppose it's the latter. 

Go to My Devices -> This device -> Unlink. Create new identity and link it to others. 

7 hours ago, Helen said:

apparently at this step the configured identity was not saved properly. Did you indeed just closed UI or stopped the process? I suppose it's the latter. 

Go to My Devices -> This device -> Unlink. Create new identity and link it to others. 

No I didn't stop the process, I just closed the window - the process was still running.

I'm still having the issue too - both machines will still change to "Selective Sync" when I reboot them.