Sync for two users sharing macOS and Linux computers

sisyphos

Hi,

I'm currently using a bunch of tools to exchange data between Linux and macOS computers as well as Android and iOS devices. I'd like to reduce that to one solution. I also prefer an automatic synchronization, because this is the only way I can get my girlfriend to synchronize your data with my backup server.

It is also important to me that we continue to separate our data, except for projects we work on together. As far as I know, you can assign rights with Resilio, but I don't find anything about anything like Reslio user accounts (well such things are about terminology, so maybe Resilio uses this, but uses different words or concepts).

Me and my girlfriend share computers:

1. a macOS desktop
  2. a macOS Notebook
  3. a Linux workstation
  4. a Linux server (headless, used for backups)

I would like, that my Girlfriend and me use their own Resilio configuration. That means, she and me set-up own folders, which are synced via the devices, and we both decide, which folder we want to share. Unfortunately I'm not sure if this can work.

How can I set-up Resilio to run on each computer (macOS & Linux), with different user accounts?

If it is not possible to set-up Reslio for different users, are there some work-a-rounds?

Ideas?

So on macOS multiple users can run their own installation of Sync since the configuration files are within each users ~/Library/Application Support/Resilio Sync/ folder.

Depending on how you set up your Linux configuration the same could apply for each individual Sync user. All that you can specify in the configuration file.

Basically: on macOS you just install it for each user. Basic setup for Sync afterwards. For linux you would have to set up some config yourself since this can vary a lot depending on your setup.

Thank you Moe!

Ok, so macOS seems to be easy.

20 hours ago, Moe said:

Depending on how you set up your Linux configuration the same could apply for each individual Sync user. All that you can specify in the configuration file.

But how? Before I start trying and guessing around would like to know what I'm doing. But the help I found for Linux seems for me to be focussed for a one user scenario only (see here).

E.G.:

"Enable sync service as current user:
edit file /usr/lib/systemd/user/resilio-sync.service and change "WantedBy=multi-user.target" to "WantedBy=default.target". Save."

But what to do, if do not want to start the service for the current user only? Is it enough not change the WantedBy-directive? It is not described.

Or do I have to follow the instructions for different Linux users on the host and set-up a service for each user? (In that case I would not understand the sense of a "WantedBy=multi-user.target" setting.

And, what about the permissions? That is all quite unclear for me...

Any Ideas?