Windows Silent Install: Service or normal, update safe

Alex Berg

Does resilio support a silent install as service? It seems not to: https://help.resilio.com/hc/en-us/articles/205505969-How-to-Silently-Install-Resilio-Sync

Resilio installs in "c:\ProgramData\Resilio Sync Service" if installed as service. That's fine, but I'm missing a auto-update ability, which would be possible to script if it supported silent install.

If installing without service it install in "c:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\Resilio Sync". Now that's a mess. The install must be elevated it seems, because if I run silent install below then it prompts for elevation, and does not install without elevation.

Resilio-Sync_x64.exe  /PERFORMINSTALL /S

It is registered as installed in windows programs and features, but is installed under the home-dir that I happened to run it under. If a future update is running as say Administrator rather than my elevated prompt I suspect I wont like the result. I tried using choco to install resilio-sync-home but ran into these problems, which seems to find their root cause in resilio installing as a program in windows requiring elevated prompt but not installing in the program files location.

Does resilio support a silent install as service? It seems not to: https://help.resilio.com/hc/en-us/articles/205505969-How-to-Silently-Install-Resilio-Sync

Resilio installs in "c:\ProgramData\Resilio Sync Service" if installed as service. That's fine, but I'm missing a auto-update ability, which would be possible to script if it supported silent install.

If installing without service it install in "c:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\Resilio Sync". Now that's a mess. The install must be elevated it seems, because if I run silent install below then it prompts for elevation, and does not install without elevation.

Resilio-Sync_x64.exe  /PERFORMINSTALL /S

It is registered as installed in windows programs and features, but is installed under the home-dir that I happened to run it under. If a future update is running as say Administrator rather than my elevated prompt I suspect I wont like the result. I tried using choco to install resilio-sync-home but ran into these problems, which seems to find their root cause in resilio installing as a program in windows requiring elevated prompt but not installing in the program files location.

Thank you, awesome it was there, and thanks for the -a description.

I didn't know the service had to run as an administrator, now I'm running in in the native administrator.

Will this also allow me to update the program automatically by eg, stopping the service, downloading newest, and installing like /svcinstall ?

Best Alex

21 hours ago, Gane O'dwyer said:

@Alex Berg To install Sync as service silently please use this command:

Sync.exe /svcinstall -a -u %username% %password%

But it have to be installed  under account with admin privileges. Service will be autostarted using key -a.

This is not my experience - I have 4 machines that I run as Local System and have for several months now and have had zero issues.