Best way to deal with directories with fast writes, deletes, updates?

otosnede

Been a long time user of Sync and am well versed the software, but up until this point, I've never had a situation like I currently have. I have a directory that that is housing some app files... when the app is open, there are a number of files that stay in an open state as well as lots of deleting files, writing new ones, updating, etc. This is absolutely choking Sync because it can't keep up with the rate of the requests and it's own sync process... the result is the app using the directory constantly giving me corrupt file and missing file errors. I know there is a global setting to increase the folder re-scan poll rate value, but don't really want to do that because this is just one sync point out of many.

Is there a "best" way to deal with this? or is this just asking Sync to do too much? I tried the folder in question with Dropbox and Dropbox didn't flinch and not a single error or corrupt file... I'm guessing because Dropbox has a different method for handling open files and rapid file changes.

Any thoughts/suggestions/insights would be greatly appreciated!

My setup... (if you need more details, let me know)

• i7 Mac mini is my "always-on" Sync machine (drive holding all the Sync files is an external USB3 WD My Book in RAID-0 config mode)
  • Two i7 Windows 10 Pro PCs as Sync clients running on dual SSDs in RAID-0 (super fast read/writes)
  • Whole network from end to end is Cat-6 running through a business class gigabit Cisco switch
  • All Sync versions and operating systems are fully up to date

The apps in question are some games I have where I set up my own local cloud saves, so to speak, to keep both the Windows machines game saves in sync. There are just a few games that constantly write new files into their save directory which is where Sync is getting hung up. The games will give me warnings about corrupt save files, etc., if I place them in a Sync folder (in a regular non-Sync folder, they're perfectly fine). I was not aware of the delay time function, which I can explore, but that will get tedious managing all the file extensions manually.

Ideally, it would be great if you can specify (per Sync share) how often to perform the sync just like you can specify other options per Sync share. Sync is a real champ for pretty much everything else I've thrown at it... I have folders with terabytes worth of stuff with deep directory trees and it doesn't flinch (granted, those are not accessed in near real time, however).

On 12.02.2018 at 8:08 PM, otosnede said:

Sync share) how often to perform the sync just like you can specify other options per Sync share. Sync is a real champ for pretty much everything else I've thrown at it... I have folders with terabytes worth of stuff with deep directory trees and it doesn't flinch (granted, those are not accessed in near real time, however).

The idea is not bad but in your case better to stop Sync while your files in use and after it iwll be finished you can run Sync again  It allows you to avoid files locking and their corrupting. Also delay time option could help ypu to avoid conflicts.