sync speed

Hey guys,

I wanted to ask something about the sync speed. This should be very fast but over here I am not sure if this is the case.

My setup:

- NAS with base folder.

- then I went to my devices and copied the key to my Macbook Pro AND my MacPro

- the base folder is automatically being synced which should be fine

For now my NAS does most work and is sending with speeds of 7mb per sec, but when I put some files with my MacBook Pro on the Resilio folder I see the MacBook Pro only uses around 100kb per sec upload. So the Macpro also is not getting the high speeds it should

Did I do a correct setup?

I do see that syncing from the MBP to the NAS on the internal network is very quick, but syncing to the MacPro on another location over the internet is very slow on the MBP but the NAS is very quick.

Also not sure if this is correct. 

Peers Online 2 of 2 . but I have a NAS (as main) and a MacPro (syncing all files) AND a Macbook Pro (using selective sync)

Maybe something went wrong here?

Thanks Gane for your reply. 

I have tried to set everything up but it's still not very fast. Sending a folder with 1000 pretty small jpgs (1mb) takes some time, but that was because the other side is on a relay server (nat etc)

So I also tried to sync an folder of 125gb with RAW/JPG's and XMP files and .COT files (which are small files for Capture One) and it took really forever!

I synced it to 2 nasses and 1 macpro on 3 different locations with fast internet speeds (master nas is 500/500mbit and other are around 100mbit)

Hello Stefan,

I've a similar setup to yours and have similar problems. If you've installed sync without messing the configuration, you did everything right. On my NAS Resilio is also much slower than my laptop or computer. I can't give you a clear answer, but maybe it helps. Here are some of my values I recorded.

My NAS max transfer speed is 100MB/s (Local Network)

NAS ------ sync -----> Laptop (37MB/s)

Laptop ------ sync ------> NAS (11MB/s)

You can reconfigure resilio as Gane recommands, but in my opinion it doesn't matter, nothing changed... BUT when I looked at my NAS while transferring data, my NAS says that I'm transferring the data with 42MB/s not 11MB/s as Resilio said. Even if I look on both resilio windows while I'm transferring data I got two different speed values. I don't know If Resilio calculates the transfer speed correctly. I trust my NAS I tested it with copying data without Resilio and checked the speed and it matches perfect.

How much memory do your NAS have? My NAS has 512MB of RAM, so its totally clear for me that my NAS is constant slower. I can see that Resilio eats all the memory while syncing.

I also own a VPS as always online host to avoid relay server (I recommend that for you too). My VPS is 4xCores 16GB of RAM AND no performance issue, the VPS behaves as my laptop or computer.

Hi JD84,

Good to hear I am not the only one with problems ;)

I have an NAS inside my home network with 10Gbe connection so transferspeeds of 200MB/s so that's not the problem.

What I was thinking is that the more devices you have the faster everything will be and every device will share bandwith to get maximum speed while syncing.

Most easy are the big video files and RAW photo's but all the small files take a lot of time

@jd84  You are right that the issue could be related to the weak NAS. Sync eats RAM 2kb per file and on the forum we posted such answers too mnay times but would be great to see logs. @Stefan Segers small files would slow down the process as please note that too many operations would be proceed by the app such as indexing/tree merging/uploading/downloading and NAS that it based on the Linux has some peculiarities.

Thanks Gane for your feedback. Not really sure what you mean, sorry for that. So what I ready is that syncing small files take more time because of the indexing/tree merging etc etc. Will this also infect CPU usage like Dropbox does? 

And what if I have like 30Tb of data and start up my Mac... wil Resilio first start indexing and check if everything is in sync? With Dropbox it take like 30 minutes before it's finished :(

@Stefan Segers 

Will this also infect CPU usage like Dropbox does? 

Usually Sync doesn't use much CPU when there is no activity. It constantly use only RAM according to number of files you have. But also Sync indexes files to make sure that their are up to date. During that time Sync uses some CPU and it happens every 10 minutes after rescan. More changes and added files more resources used.

And what if I have like 30Tb of data and start up my Mac... wil Resilio first start indexing and check if everything is in sync? With Dropbox it take like 30 minutes before it's finished.

Yes, from the very beginning Sync indexing files before the files transferring.