Conflict files in Encrypted Folders

knnknn

I have folder (resilio key starts with D....) which syncs fine with other computers. However, when I make an encrypted folder (resilio key starts with F....), I get a lot of conflicts:

resilio_conflict_encryptedfolder.thumb.jpg.b8ea17008681f00b9e4e0d332b33333a.jpg

These conflicts only exist in the encrypted folder, not the normal/unencrypted sync folders.

How do I fix this?

I use Resilio 2.5.12 (1191).

On 7/25/2018 at 5:31 PM, Gane O'dwyer said:

Do you have files with long names? 

Yes, long file names and long folder names. I have 199 conflicts and the conflict paths look something like

/B4AGJRLSAP4K745MRYWRUMMXIAE4OYXTOOBH7DY/KMVZNMVVXKQW6NLGFZ4JD5ZOFY/BJNHGDG6AT37MJLKJIJOIHFSRHGV/VVSFYUCP5S7HGNT47FNVBWICDXIXVAMPUTA3AROYHIH4IYFHTRDC/KVKQ2R57IUHIU87SEUHYS6GUJYG2BORD4243D2CZQ52Y2LEG2QLNN4DS3A4TPIHSYIOXJA42RSC4MGYQMBOTQFHQNZHYVDGLOLRHIUHIS6746YT55YQK6PGPC5XI3DETHX7TRKXMIUHII662FBGCHX7F5HLWDKME74WHD3IYKIQZ53KIUZWGABW2ELHY7BEZEZFZ3VB2WQJQW4KMP5TDEGRNFVOSOGTZE63C3KCFZHIUH2IUHIH

On 7/27/2018 at 8:39 PM, bratten said:

I hope this helps you to solve them as well.

As you can see, it would be very tiresome to find and delete those files. Especially since 1 mistake may delete a bona fide file.

1 hour ago, knnknn said:

Yes, long file names and long folder names. I have 199 conflicts and the conflict paths look something like

I think @Gane O'dwyer was referring to the filenames in your decrypted folder. AFAIK the most likely cause for conflicts are long filenames, so searching for them in your decrypted folder is probably the easiest thing to try first.

1 hour ago, knnknn said:

As you can see, it would be very tiresome to find and delete those files. Especially since 1 mistake may delete a bona fide file.

Keep in mind that deleting files in an encrypted folder is harmless: it's also a read-only folder, so all deleted files will be restored as soon as a peer is detected. Also, it's very likely than most of your conflicts are in the same folder (looking at the image in your original post, most of the files share the same prefix) so it would probably take you lest than it looks, but no doubt is not a pleasant task.

Good luck!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The major problem here is that the usefulness of an encrypted folder is that it would run on a untrusted computer that the user would likely not have access to. The sync conflicts that are occurring on the peer that hosts the encrypted folder do not show in any of the other peers, so you'd never know that there was an issue unless you have full time access to the untrusted peer.

I can't get my head around why this was never thought of in the design - I do appreciate your work Resilio, but these issues have been going on for years now. Also, there is no way to remote audit the files in an encrypted node. My tests using Beyond Compare show that there are often files missing in syncs from a master folder through an encrypted folder and back to a read only folder on a different machine. This tends to happen when the folders structure goes too deep. Resilio won't scan beyond a certain depth over a certain file limit - thus making Resilio unreliable for multi peer, encrypted server backups. I would have thought that was what the encrypted folder feature is for.

I can confirm (after syncing a encrypted folder to a peer with the encrypted key, then deleting the original folder from Resilio, and then syncing the encrpyted folder to a third computer with the read/write key, then comparing the original folder and the third computer's folder) that the conflicted files are NOT backed up, and were present in the original folder, but not in the third computer's folder.

• 1 month later...

I just had the same problem when setting up a share on an Ubuntu VPS. I fixed it using the process described by @bratten (thanks), but in the spirit of providing more information:

• The Ubuntu server is running 2.6.1 (1319), (installed as described at Resilio's site) with Ubuntu 16.04. It uses an encrypted key and showed the conflicted files in its web UI.
  • The folder is also shared on two Macs, also running 2.6.1 (1319) on mac OS 10.13.6. They use read/write keys.
  • A sample long filename apparently causing trouble: "HIYsdOFEuPMf5x7PXgZIhkz_l5t7InMiOiJzMyIsImIiOiJhZG4tdXNlci1hc3NldHMiLCJrIjoiYXNzZXRzL3BhZ2UvNzYvNzAvMDAvNzY3MDAwMDAwMDAwMDAwMC5wbmciLCJvIjoiIn0-3777.png"

In my case all conflicts were for files in the same directory on the Macs. I resolved it by deleting the directory (which I didn't need anymore anyway).