[Solved] Lag? when syncing a folder on SD Card

Valentin528

Hi,

Sync worked great when first installed, after i took a picture (stored on phone's internal storage or SD Card) pictures synced in a couple of seconds.

--Full story--
Removed SD Card from my Android phone.
After a while i noticed that Android Sync app shows a warning at "Camera" folder from SD Card: something about unable to sync
Tried different things but the warning message would stay.
Disconnected the folder and created a new one.
Now, this folder has lag. It never syncs on spot, not even when i manually press "Sync now", it syncs.. seldom (unable to know when)

I've checked sync time on other existing folders (two of them, both in phone's internal storage), all good, syncs in seconds.

What can i do?

Thank you,
Valentin

Valentin,

I'm not sure I understand - you say you removed the card, and then disconnected the folder and created new one - where is it located now? 

What exactly "Sync now" you press? what folder you sync? please give more details about your setup. A few screenshots would help a lot.

Sync detects new files in two ways: file system notification and when doing periodic rescan of folder. Rescan takes place every 10 minutes by default or at Sync restart. Try restarting Sync. 

On 8/7/2018 at 9:13 AM, Helen said:

Valentin,

I'm not sure I understand - you say you removed the card, and then disconnected the folder and created new one - where is it located now? 

What exactly "Sync now" you press? what folder you sync? please give more details about your setup. A few screenshots would help a lot.

Sync detects new files in two ways: file system notification and when doing periodic rescan of folder. Rescan takes place every 10 minutes by default or at Sync restart. Try restarting Sync. 

I removed SD Card and put it back in. Then the folder stopped syncing and an error message appeared only to that folder (1 out of 3, other 2 are on internal storage and were ok) . Then disconnected the folder and recreated it (+ and "Create folder" from android app). Where? : same location (SD Card), same settings (selective sync - off).

"Sync now" - screen capture attached. It's a capture of notification bar.

I restarted Sync before first posting this situation. Issue stayed only with the folder on sd card.

Screenshot_20180810-205945_Samsung Experience Home.jpg

Edited by Valentin528
reread the post and put some new informations

On 8/10/2018 at 9:05 PM, Valentin528 said:

and an error message appeared only to that folder

which says what? 

On 8/10/2018 at 9:05 PM, Valentin528 said:

hen disconnected the folder and recreated it

and what is the current state of the share? are peers connected? any details or screenshots of how it at least looks like now would be nice. 

Hi Helen,

I understand you need specific details.
Error message unavailable, i disconnected the folder thus error message lost. I'll try to reproduce the situation by removing sd card again tomorrow (the pin that removes sd card holder is in original box at my workplace :) )

Curent status of the share: online, wi-fi connection (hope i answered your question)
Are peers connected? 1 permanent peer: Synology NAS
Screenshots: done

Tested sync again:
Download folder synced when i pressed "sync now" from status bar, and the Camera folder (at the bottom) synced after ~2 minutes.
There were new files both in Downoad folder and Camera folder. Only Camera folder has lag issues. The new file is visible when access folder from Sync Android but the file syncs with after a while.

Screenshot_20180813-181916_Sync.jpg

Screenshot_20180813-182947_Sync.jpg

Screenshot_20180813-182955_Sync.jpg

thank you, got it. It may happen for the following reasons:
new files are located in deeply nested subfolders on the phone. 
speed fo reading from SD card is slow and files are big, it takes a while to index them
speed of writing to disk on NAS is slow (what exactly "synced after ~2 minutes." means - file detected by sync on phone, or file appear on NAS?) 
slow upload speed. 

I removed SD Card and put it back in and the error message never appeared. All good.

"synced after ~2 minutes." means files that appeared after 2 minutes on NAS.

CONCLUSION
Helen, you are right, "speed for reading from SD card is slow" and the issue is the time needed to index the files.

The one thing that i missed was that during this time i changed the SD card on my phone with smth lower than Class 10 :)
My appologies