[Android] Lost folder access on SD card after update to 2.6.1

Mouserider

This happened on a Moto Z 1st Gen. with Android 8.0.

I did not have the same issue on a Honor 6 with Android 6 (also on SD) or on a Moto G 1st Gen with Android 5 (Internal Storage).

I already completely uninstalled Sync from the Moto Z, deleted all folders and set it up again, but I keep having issues with the synchronization. Changed files from other devices will often not be downloaded, the progress bar will be stuck somewhere in the middle.

I had a similar issue sometimes with versions up to 2.5 where the download of changed files did not start for some files any more. In that case the "Overwrite changed files" option used to help. Here it does not.

The Desktop peer where it should download from was already updated to 2.6 as well.

Unfortunately I cannot test on my Moto Z any longer. I should get a Moto Z2 Play with Android 8 by end of this week though. I am a bit surprised I don't see anyone else reporting similar issues.

On 8/25/2018 at 12:02 PM, Mouserider said:

After updating to 2.6.1 (7881) on Android 8.0, I lost access to my folders which reside on my SD card.

I reclaimed permissions, selected default locations again and rebooted phone, but the issue persists.

It works again when I reconnect the folders, but I just wanted to let you know about this.

I confirm this issue on Sony XZ1 with Android 8.0.

On 8/31/2018 at 1:49 PM, Gane O'dwyer said:

@darpas I have heard about such bug in 2.6.0 version. But that would be great if you can send logs for the further issue investigation.

Hello, I tried to send logfiles from android but could not find in 2.6.1 the "send feedback" option (note that I am using the Italian version) as explained in:

https://help.resilio.com/hc/en-us/articles/205458145-Settings-on-mobile-platforms

Has this option been moved?

Thank you

Dario Pascucci

On 9/3/2018 at 2:24 PM, Gane O'dwyer said:

@Bakgrund@darpas
Did you have 2.5.x version previously installed before the app upgrading? In general that's a known bug and we investigate the reasons of sucg behaviour the quick fix is only the folder reconnecting.

Is disconnecting and reconnecting the shared folder (already populated with files and .sync directory) a reliable procedure? or should we completely delete the shared folder and recreate from scratch? I remember that some time ago I read in the resilio online documentation that reconnecting a pre-populated folder is not a reliable procedure and should be avoided. Can you clarify this point?

Thank you very much for your support

Best regards

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/27/2018 at 8:23 PM, Mouserider said:

I already completely uninstalled Sync from the Moto Z, deleted all folders and set it up again, but I keep having issues with the synchronization. Changed files from other devices will often not be downloaded, the progress bar will be stuck somewhere in the middle.

I had a similar issue sometimes with versions up to 2.5 where the download of changed files did not start for some files any more. In that case the "Overwrite changed files" option used to help. Here it does not. 

The Desktop peer where it should download from was already updated to 2.6 as well.

Unfortunately I cannot test on my Moto Z any longer. I should get a Moto Z2 Play with Android 8 by end of this week though. I am a bit surprised I don't see anyone else reporting similar issues.

This really makes Sync unusable for me at the moment. Same issue with a Moto Z2 Force on Android 8 and using a folder location on the SD card.

New Sync installation on the phone.

New folder created on the Desktop.

Sharing the folder via Read-only QR code.

Settings: Selective sync turned off, Overwrite changed files

Add a file to the folder: It will be transferred successfully. First update: File is overwritten. Second update: Transfer is stuck.

I will send the debug log of the new installation now.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/2/2018 at 6:06 PM, Mouserider said:

This really makes Sync unusable for me at the moment. Same issue with a Moto Z2 Force on Android 8 and using a folder location on the SD card.

New Sync installation on the phone.

New folder created on the Desktop.

Sharing the folder via Read-only QR code.

Settings: Selective sync turned off, Overwrite changed files

Add a file to the folder: It will be transferred successfully. First update: File is overwritten. Second update: Transfer is stuck.

I will send the debug log of the new installation now.

Just in case any of the readers experiences the same issue:

The problem occurred on Android 8 with the folder on SD card and Archive enabled (default setting). Using Archive on SD was not yet possible on 2.5.

This was resolved in a development/test version and I guess the fix will be made public with the next official release.