Sync Cloud Backup Server Provider

Neinstein

A few years back, several cloud backup providers started to offer Resilio (back then BitTorrent Sync) backup server services. It was really simple, all you had to do is configure the encrypted RO folder and done. I understand that I can setup a personal backup by having a friend hosting my Resilio folders on their machine but if that's not an option, does anyone know about a cloud service provider offering Resilio backup services?

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thanks @Miyo, @Timbo, @drego85 for your suggestions but I don't want to deal with managing my own VPS server. I'm looking for a provider (there were several in the past) that offers a fully configured Resilio Sync platform and all you had to do is enter the encrypted RO link and you were done.

37 minutes ago, Neinstein said:

Thanks @Miyo, @Timbo, @drego85 for your suggestions but I don't want to deal with managing my own VPS server. I'm looking for a provider (there were several in the past) that offers a fully configured Resilio Sync platform and all you had to do is enter the encrypted RO link and you were done.

I don't think you'll see that again. These services were before Resilio was selling their own commercial version to make money. And the way I'm seeing the support and development going the last year, I would highly doubt a business would invest the resources into developing this if btsync were to stop development at any time without notice.

• 10 months later...

Hi willjasen,

that's great, thanks for sharing!

I have a question, what did you mean by this sentence:

If the EC2 instance where rainstash is running is shutdown or rebooted, data on that instance is not trivially recoverable.

As I understood, the files are saved to Amazon cloud, so why would it make a problem if the EC2 is rebooted?

Also, were you able to estimate the costs of EC2, S3, and data transfer for running Resilio Sync and rainstash on it?

rainstash was initially developed before Resilio Sync had the encrypted folder key feature so to the design was to store the Sync program and its data on a software encrypted volume (LUKS) in order to store data as securely as possible. Because the design decision was to not store the encrypted passphrase, the encrypted volume has no way to be unlocked upon restart of the instance, at least in an easy manner.

AWS has a calculator that can be used to estimate monthly costs for an instance. The majority of this cost is assumed to be the size of the volume that stores the Sync data. The most recent change to rainstash was to use standard magnetic drives in order to store this data as it is the cheapest cost per GB. The calculator can be found here: https://calculator.s3.amazonaws.com/index.html