% got renamed to �

ksminute

I am coming from syncthing after facing a lot of out of sync problems, and wanted a fire and forget solution for my setup. I have other "problems" but this one is more critical right now.

I have a PC, Laptop, and 3 android that I sync with.

The PC is the only master (read only)

In the other devices: I turn off the selective sync (so files are always in sync when connected), and I also turned on "overwrite changed files"

I saw some out of sync items yesterday, so I deleted them on the other devices and let the PC overwrites them with the fresh updated files.

Today: I see some (new) out of sync items, and they all have a "%" symbol in the file name. I deleted those files and let it sync. I was able to sync, at least sync tells me it's 100% done. I went to the android folder and checked, the file name is now different. The % is now display as , (unicode: black diamond with a question mark inside), the extension . dot is now replace with the underscore _ , and at the end I see the (1), (2), (3), for the other copies (but I turn off the archive function) When I browse with the sync directory, it displays fine, but when I use my file manager program or the music player, it will not open it.

Screenshot_20190212-120951_File Manager.jpg

• 1 month later...

Today I revisit to this issue, trying to recreate it. (I notice it because it is holding up that 1% from finishing syncing)

I found 3 unicode for the %

Unicode Character “%” (U+0025) - Standard Shift+5 %

Unicode Character “%” (U+FF05) - Full width % sign

Unicode Character “﹪” (U+FE6A) - Small % sign

First I tested with the notepad, seems like I can read the file after sync, the names didn't get changed.

Then I randomly generated a mp3 and named it to the same convention. After sync, the names appear to be correct on the device, but only the Standard % cannot be opened (I can play the other 2 files tho).

Capture.PNG