Andyjbm

Android stops syncing, requires phone restart to fix.

Same here, no SD cards involved.

We actively remove everything from Resilio Sync (where did the nested folders get lost?)

I look back with a crying eye.

Hi @Maniac but did you keep the SD card in the phone? Try removing the SD card from the phone just to eliminate it completely. If sync still hangs then we know for sure its NOT the SD card.

Andy

Update as promised,

aaaand....

Back to square one. Didn't last a week. So new SD Card made no difference.

Symptoms:

1. Notice that some files on another client haven't synced when they've had a day or so to do so.

2. Go to phone and see that sync has no peers for any sync folders when clearly there should be.

3. Go to settings> exit. Sync displays shutdown spinning wheel (forever. Tested 24hrs at least) until the app is force closed or the phone is restarted.

As you were,

Andy.

If its not actually syncing outside of the UI (as in not a UI update problem)... it could even be the device killing the app and the way RS handles it doesn't cope or maybe an internal app problem.

Suppose, you or RS devs really need to look through Android debug log and really see why its not working. You might be able to do it without doing that but you might not after spending a lot of time trying.

I don't really recommend relying on RS Android. I used it for backups to Android and RS was a total fail for that. Its disappointing to me as it would be a nice way to have encrypted backups at all times. I so really want auto backups to mobile device.

So I realized I can reproduce this on demand, as I was trying to get something to sync this morning. My work's wifi blocks resilio sync's data. If I connect to it, syncing obviously stops working; but when I disconnect it never starts working again. I have to force stop the app and restart it to get it to find peers and sync data again.

How is it that this common problem has been going on for years with no line of sight on a resolution from Resilio?

Adopted Resilio as a reliable file sync solution, however the Android experience is a complete fail!!

I've got a late model phone (S10), client has all the privileges it requires, no external cards and freezes every day. No way to recover without restarting the phone.

RESILIO... WHERE ARE YOU ON THIS ISSUE?!?!

I had the same problem. I stop the Resilio APP on Android and use the APP from Syncthing, which works very fine. Therefore I have on my devices a mixed situation Resilio and Syncthing and use for all peers special Ignore Pattern. This works very good.

Interesting, wasn't aware of Syncthing. I'll probably try it out if this doesn't pan out:
https://forum.resilio.com/topic/71250-is-resilio-sync-dead/?do=findComment&comment=153575

Alright, well there hasn't been any help from developers on fixing this issue, but I've found a temporary remedy. The app no longer freezes on Android so I don't have to force stop the app or restart anymore, but it will still lose connection after a certain amount of time and have to Exit the app and restart to get it to sync again.

What I did was Force Stop the app (Phone Settings -> Apps -> Sync), then Clear Cache and Clear Data (Phone Settings -> Apps -> Sync -> Storage). This clears all your settings so it's like starting from a fresh install of the app.

Before you link the device, use your file explorer on android to rename your shared folders (e.g. "Folder" to "Folder.BAK").

Then link the device and connect the folders, but keep Selective Sync turned on. Wait for the folders to stop Indexing. Then Exit Sync (either from the notification bar or in the app press "Exit"), and using your file explorer, cut & paste your files from the old Folder.BAK to the new shared Folder (if you have a lot of files, you need to cut & paste a few files at a time or Sync will crash when trying to index).

Then start Sync again and wait for it to finish Indexing with the files added. When it's finished Indexing, you can turn off Selective Sync.

One last thing (this is for Android 9), go to Phone Settings -> Apps, click the three dots in the upper right and choose Special Access -> Optimize Battery Usage, then select All Apps. Scroll to Sync and switch it off.

The app doesn't crash anymore, but I still have to Exit and Startup again to get it to connect to my other devices after some time.

If Resilio doesn't fix this, Syncthing as recommended earlier is a good alternative, though it's really confusing to use at first and there's no Selective Sync. You can use the ignore file, but that's not very practical nor convenient for most people's selective sync needs.

36 minutes ago, jabv said:

The app doesn't crash anymore, but I still have to Exit and Startup again to get it to connect to my other devices after some time.

Same on my Smartphones. Mainly Sync runs, but cant shutdown for restarting, this freeze the App. I must restart the whole Smartphone. This is no good condition, so Syncthing runs for all instead.