v2.7, v2.8

On 12/17/2019 at 4:04 AM, Alex. said:

@Andy+ Are you expecting any certain new features?

Yes and No.

First I'm expecting to see the current product be more reliable.  Today I think it's mostly syncing correctly, but the displays don't reflect  that.  I have folders that never show a green check, they just show a blue circle and 100%.  What's with that?

Then, this product needs a real GUI.  This product is targeted at non-commercial users, but the UI can never be figured out by someone who isn't technically inclined.  I never recommend this product to anyone who is not a techie because I don't want to have to hold their hand, verify correct setup, etc.  The home market is probably limited, but this product in it's current form is self limiting.  It's like making a pair of scissors that only work for left handed people.  The product is great, but only for 10% of the market.

Virtually all software has bugs.  The notion that 2.6.3 is perfect is simply nonsense.  As far as I can tell this product has been abandoned which is too bad as I think the underlying technology is quite good.

• 2 weeks later...

Progress seems good in the last days, version 2.6.4 is online, first with build 1343, today build 1344.

I am thrilled with this software because it basically works best. I have re-installed my Resilio installation with Syncthing in the past few days. It works, but it's just different. Not so round. It still has a couple of little snags where you have to trick something, etc., so Resilio is just a little better.

No wonder we are all convinced followers. In any case, I have left it at Resilio and only use Syncthing for very special tasks.

• 4 months later...

Sync is far from the dead. We are going to support and improve it. We don't want to make it bloatware and add features for the sake of adding features. We don't want to add ads to it either. The core value of Sync is to synchronize your data across your devices fast. And we will keep it this way. Resilio Connect is our enterprise offering and our way to make money. So it obviously gets more attention, but it doesn't mean we have abandoned Sync. We will always bump sync core engine to the latests and greatest one and you will get it for free.

I hope you will enjoy local folder syncing and overall speed and reliability improvements. 

Happy syncing and stay healthy and safe!

kos

@kos13 thanks for the update! I think keeping Sync minimal and aiming to make it as reliable as possible are probably the best possible goals for something like Sync. I think the problem that people had, was that there were very few signs of life and were worried that Sync might soon go away. If things look that way, people will stop recommending Sync to others, prepare a migration path, etc.

I think just having regular bugfix releases would go a long way of taking away concerns.

I believe that Sync still has a much better and more user-friendly sharing model than the most frequently mentioned (open source) competitor. So, I hope that Sync will stay with us for a while. As you say, Connect is the primary source of money, but at least I'd think that Sync is sort of a 'gateway drug' that for people to get to know Sync and later recommend Sync or Connect at work.

Anyway, thanks for the new release, and...

4 hours ago, kos13 said:

Happy syncing and stay healthy and safe!

Likewise!

On 5/9/2020 at 10:21 AM, iswrong said:

I think the problem that people had, was that there were very few signs of life and were worried that Sync might soon go away. If things look that way, people will stop recommending Sync to others, prepare a migration path, etc.

Yes, exactly this. It seemed no longer supported and at this point you would rather go with something else (something active) in case you would have to build a new solution. I could not have recommended someone to buy a license for something that would not be developed any more. Glad to see that my concerns were unjustified. :)