SirKronos

Where is Resilio uploading to if all my other devices are disconnected?

Recommended Posts

So, I added a large folder to Resilio Sync on my main desktop. My other three devices are offline and folders are set to be disconnected by default. And yet, Resilio is "uploading" the new folder at 3MB/sec. I thought Resilio is cloudless and only syncs when the other devices are online and I've triggered sync on them (when they're set to disconnected).

According to the Help Center, 

Quote

Sync only transfers data by establishing a direct connection between peers you select. This allows data to exist at rest exclusively on private infrastructure.

Quote

Resilio Sync is a cloudless solution, which means that your files are stored only on your devices and not on any third party servers than can be hacked.

So where is Resilio uploading to? Am I misunderstanding that Resilio is cloudless and is actually uploading to a server somewhere?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alright, I figured it out. It was syncing to my Synology because it was set to sync by default. I though I was only syncing a single folder to my Synology but I was obviously wrong.

I really don't like that "Synced" is the default because everything gets synced as soon as you add it, especially if you've forgotten about certain devices. If I add a huge folder (e.g., 20 GB) to be synced to a family member in another location, I don't want 20 GB to be synced to all my devices, some of which might be size constrained. Selective Sync or Disconnected should be the default mode upon installation. Then the user can choose when to sync something.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/1/2019 at 2:45 PM, SirKronos said:

Alright, I figured it out. It was syncing to my Synology because it was set to sync by default. I though I was only syncing a single folder to my Synology but I was obviously wrong.

I really don't like that "Synced" is the default because everything gets synced as soon as you add it, especially if you've forgotten about certain devices. If I add a huge folder (e.g., 20 GB) to be synced to a family member in another location, I don't want 20 GB to be synced to all my devices, some of which might be size constrained. Selective Sync or Disconnected should be the default mode upon installation. Then the user can choose when to sync something.

 

 

I disagree. I would argue you're simply doing your folder syncs incorrectly. Don't sync the root folder, just sync the folder that the device should have. Adding the folders and having it sync automatically is what most users want most of the time, hence, the best default.

You have something like 10 syncs available in the free version. Use them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure what you mean by root folder. Do you mean the default folder location that's listed in Settings?

And when you say "just sync the folder that the device should have", that's what I've been doing as far as I know. Normally, I just click the + button and drag a folder into it and it automatically starts syncing the folder to all my devices that have Resilio Sync installed (except mobile apps). Now I'm using disconnected or selective sync.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SirKronos said:

I'm not sure what you mean by root folder. Do you mean the default folder location that's listed in Settings?

And when you say "just sync the folder that the device should have", that's what I've been doing as far as I know. Normally, I just click the + button and drag a folder into it and it automatically starts syncing the folder to all my devices that have Resilio Sync installed (except mobile apps). Now I'm using disconnected or selective sync.

What? I don't know what/why/how dragging is different, but adding a folder should NOT automatically sync with all peers for other folders unless the peers also have that folder added.

On my main PC, I have several folders sync'd with PC1 only, other folders with PC2 only, and other folders with all three PC's syncing.

Let's say I have PC1, PC2, PC3

If I add a folder to PC1, it syncs with nothing unless I also add that folder on PC2 or PC3.

I add Folder-Music to PC1. I copy the read/write key and add to PC2 and PC3. Music is automatically synced to PC2 and PC3.

Now on PC1, I add folder "Programs". Again, it syncs with NOTHING until I copy the key and also add to PC2 or PC3. Adding to PC2 does not make it sync with PC3.

 

I think you'll need to provide screenshots of your folder setup for us to better understand your config.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dear Timbo, you do not understand what he means.

If various folders are set up on the server and I use Sync Pro and licenses on all devices and the devices are connect among themselves, and see on all devices my folders from the server and I can connect folders manually. These folders will be linked by default and automatically to the default folder on all configured and licensed systems.

He is right because it is so.

When I set up a device, I have to remember to set resilio on the device so it does not automatically sync the directories after connecting a folder. Then this automatic does not take place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Andy+ said:

Dear Timbo, you do not understand what he means.

If various folders are set up on the server and I use Sync Pro and licenses on all devices and the devices are connect among themselves, and see on all devices my folders from the server and I can connect folders manually. These folders will be linked by default and automatically to the default folder on all configured and licensed systems.

He is right because it is so.

When I set up a device, I have to remember to set resilio on the device so it does not automatically sync the directories after connecting a folder. Then this automatic does not take place.

Ah, I see (not really). Must be a Pro feature, as the free version doesn't have servers, just peers, nor default folders (the default folder is for config files, not sync).

 

Checking the website, I see this "feature".  You're probably going to have to open a feature request to add an option to not sync when adding a folder automatically.

Add Folders to All Your Devices Automatically PRO

Sync every folder automatically to all your devices. You add a folder to one and it automatically becomes available on all your linked devices.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.