Is Resilio Sync dead?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

19 hours ago, iswrong said:

I have used Resilio Sync from the early 1.x days. I was even in the private beta group for some time.

However, we are now planning a move off Resilio Sync

There are two different groups of users. Some use external clouds. The others, however, use private clouds via NAS, home servers, etc. and there are quite a few. I count myself among them as well.

I have also been using Resilio since v1.x with all clients, such as Synology NAS, Windows, Linux, Android. However, Syncthing has a lot in common with Resilio and each software has its advantages. So I used both in parallel for a while, at the moment I only use Syncthing. When it comes to sharing data, Resilio is a bit easier, but in both cases the software must also be installed on the recipient. These tools are comparable in their basic functions.

On 7/24/2021 at 2:08 PM, Andy+ said:

However, Syncthing has a lot in common with Resilio and each software has its advantages. So I used both in parallel for a while, at the moment I only use Syncthing. When it comes to sharing data, Resilio is a bit easier, but in both cases the software must also be installed on the recipient. These tools are comparable in their basic functions.

I experimented with SyncThing half a decade ago or so. The issue for me with SyncThing is the sharing model, it's oriented around devices and device keys, rather than folders and folder keys as in Resilio Sync. SyncThing is great when you have two or more devices where you want to keep folders in sync. But it is not a great replacement for Dropbox shared folders or links, where you want to do quick ad-hoc sharing of random folders with random people. Resilio Sync is also inferior [1] to Dropbox for that use case, but miles and miles better than SyncThing.

[1] E.g. case where I share a folder between my own devices and then want to share a subfolder of that folder separately with someone else, has all kinds of annoying limitations.

I see that with Syncthing as well. In the meantime, devices in the network are displayed when you want to add devices, but this device orientation makes Syncthing a bit more cumbersome.

I don't use Dropbox or any other external clouds, but these clouds have the clear advantage at this point that, as far as I know, a browser control is sufficient and no local client is required for the cloud account.

And I also find that a bit unfortunate, Resilio can at least only be operated with one key. Nevertheless, the client has to be installed. For example, when it comes to sharing elements. ownCloud / nextCloud more exemplary and significantly better.

2 minutes ago, elg said:

what exactly does "is now a universal binary" mean?

It means that it will run natively on both Intel Macs (i.e. ones released before this year) and ARM Macs (ones released this year). They don't appear to have made any functional changes apart from that, so it hasn't addressed the RAM/CPU issue you linked.