On 11/7/2019 at 6:20 AM, Frank Maier said:

there's nothing to fix, except to run it on appropriate hardware or reduce the amount of synced files:

Maybe start with a setting to limit the amount of RAM used or processes, because 14 processes running is sub-optimal. Sure it will hinder the performance, but it won't hog the whole nas and it still would be useful.

How many files are you syncing? Supposing there's no bug, Resilio Sync will work on those machines, if you don't sync too many files. But in the end, the DS218j is still a very slow NAS and maybe not the best choice for such tasks.

Totally different idea: The two Synology NAS most propably have a Synology App which does keep several Synology NAS in sync (some kind of realtime rsync), why don't you use this app, to keep both NAS in sync and only run Resilio Sync on the faster NAS?

On 11/7/2019 at 3:03 PM, Frank Maier said:

How many files are you syncing? Supposing there's no bug, Resilio Sync will work on those machines, if you don't sync too many files. But in the end, the DS218j is still a very slow NAS and maybe not the best choice for such tasks.

Quantity should not be an issue. Is there a guideline for when this could become an issue? 
Again, allowing the user to cap the amount of RAM used or processes created would still perform better. By the way, I'm syncing around 10k files.

On 11/7/2019 at 3:03 PM, Frank Maier said:

Totally different idea: The two Synology NAS most propably have a Synology App which does keep several Synology NAS in sync (some kind of realtime rsync), why don't you use this app, to keep both NAS in sync and only run Resilio Sync on the faster NAS?

This is a cute idea but defeats my purpose: I use Resilio (at least I used it up to now) to distribute versions of my photos in different locations. I keep very few photos on my laptop, and when I needed, on location, I just sync the folder, taking advantage of a collective distributed upload and capping my download badtwith. 

Resilio Sync already just uses 324MB memory on your NAS. That's not really a lot nowadays. The processes seem to be child processes and don't consume 324MB each, but together they share the memory to my understanding. Of course, your NAS just has 512MB, but that's just not anything usable to begin with. Even a low end Raspberry Pi 3 has 1GB RAM. (which might be even a better NAS for you, than your low end Synology, which Synology specific features you might not even use, just an assumption.)

In the linked post the user Helen describes one simple RAM calculation and a way to temporarily reduce the RAM footprint.

• 1 year later...