Andy+

Resilio mainly now, soon Syncthing?

Since BTsync 1.4.111 I have been a productive user of Resilio, now with version 2.6.4. Resilio runs on 4 Synology servers, 5 Windows clients, 3 smartphones, 2 Tablets. The software is very reliable, constant observation was not necessary in the past. But the advances in Linux, Windows and Android mean new problems and bugs are coming up again and again. Unfortunately, the update cycle at Resilio is no longer up to date.

Two simple examples with big consequences: The app keeps freezing on Android and the Windows service cannot be installed in some cases.

The former meant that I was forced to weave in Syncthing, which is possible with the right ignore patterns, so that the Android systems work smoothly - just embarrassing. One of the servers has now been completely switched to Syncthing and the coexistence of Resilio and Syncthing is working smoothly.

If the update cycles continue like now, I will have to change completely in the long run, although I don't really want to, but since the administration is correspondingly more complex. In addition, Resilio wasted a lot of time and allowed Syncthing to become just as good and reliable, which was not always the case. It has also become more flexible in terms of features. The only real advantage would be the selective synchronization.

So I say: Resilio takes care of your community intensively, making it the best advertisement in many companies. If you allow Syncthing to completely overtake you, it's your own fault.

I am on the edge tbh. I lost files too many times with resilio (permanently or deleted to Archive w/o any notice) to sleep well. On the other hand file placeholders work great. I need them and syncthing has nothing like this on their roadmap. 

Maybe Cryptomator and a public cloud... 

I don't really understand such things.

I keep reading that files and directory contents are lost. Today I manage almost 60 peers in Resilio with a total of well over 2 TB. I haven't lost anything yet. In an archive directory there were already complete directories etc. for me, but only when I accidentally deleted on another device is this a normal function. Otherwise there are only files in the archive that are archived by updates.

Otherwise, what would be your explanation?

If you read through the forum you will notice certain cases and some of them are detailed. I witnessed two. One was disk / filesystem corruption on one node that propagated across all, wiping files inside folders (no, nothing was archived). The other one was about renaming folders while being synced. Certain scenario resulted in files deleted and moved to the archive, but w/o any notice. So after the max time passed, they would be purged. I got that escalated, analysed by the team and rejected, as "it can't be fixed". And with all my respect for this great product that keep using, this is not the answer I was expecting.

Edit: but funny enough, for me the android app is flawless and never freezes. So go figure...

Time like this, time like this ... 😇 ... anyway, I'm following how Resilio is going.

I see some Resilio loyalty in the Syncthing Forum, who are no longer satisfied with the support here and are also waiting for updates. On the other hand, Syncthing Forum is a fighting with every problem and you can see a clear difference in how discussed things are tested and incorporated into the RCs or releases. A new final will appear every 4 weeks at the latest, along with corresponding RCs, in which everyone can participate. This is a great forum.

Resilio was once similar, today you can no longer see it and serious updates are no longer visible despite bugs etc. Nobody really understand that.