Root Sync folder moving files causes re-sync?

casperse

Hi All

For some reason Sync isn't registring that the already synced folder is just being moved to another folder?

It then starts to re-sync the files again? is this behaivior as designed or a configuration error on my behalf?

.\sync\incomplete

.\sync\complete

There are many places where this scenario is talked about:

"The sync programs are smart enough to understand a move, so while the file is still downloading, it is also syncing to your local server. When it finishes and moves to the completed folder, the sync program will reflect that and it just works because the files are probably already downloaded, but even if they're not, they will at least have been created." 

I would expect Resilio Sync to behaive the same way? or am I wrong?

I have enabled store deleted files in folder archieve....

I have read only from the source

All standard.....

It still deletes the files and upload them again....

even if the the folder above is synchronized the folder below dosent acknowledge that the files are just moved?

Just a update to anyone finding this post....

I never got this working and I have used Sync for 4 years

After recommendation on the net, I tried using Synchting and that worked!

(Atomic move of files from the host to the remote server was NOT downloaded again!)

I also noticed that when moving files and folders. I don't do it that often, so it doesn't bother me so much.

However, the fact that functions are announced that do not work is no exception here. Otherwise, I'm very happy with Resilio. Once set up, it is quick and reliable and otherwise hardly causes any problems.

Unfortunately, the support here has become very careless. Just tinkering, hardly any updates, although with the innovations in the operating systems some bugs have accumulated. This is very, very annoying. I have Synology NAS, Windows 10 computers, Android smartphones. For me everything works so far, except for the Android APP. This freezes or syncs once at the start

I am FORCED to use Syncthing because this app doesn't work. You have to imagine this. But that doesn't really matter. Syncthing is almost as fast, has even more features, is more flexible and the Android APP works perfectly.

I think it's a shame that Resilio simply leaves the field to Syncthing. If this continues, I will change completely. At the moment I have a mixed operation because of the APP, thanks to the ignore patterns it works:

# ########## Resilio files
.sync
! sync
* .rsls

# ########## syncthing files
.stfolder
.stignore
.stversion
.syncthing
.syncthing *
.syncthing. *. *. tmp
~ syncthing ~ *. *. tmp

So no problem to use Syncthing in parallel.

Could you elaborate on this:

# ########## Resilio files
.sync
! sync
* .rsls

.stfolder
.stignore
.stversion
.syncthing
.syncthing *
.syncthing. *. *. tmp
~ syncthing ~ *. *. tmp

Are you able to synch folders shared by the two Synch tools without them going into a "loop"

How do you set filters in Resilio? is it local folders and files you place in order for them to ignore them?

Thanks for your reply, its very "lonely" here :-)

First, basic: Resilio has the subdirectory ".sync" in each peer, in which system files and also the temporary transfer files are located. The IgnoreList is also stored there. That is a good thing. Unfortunately Syncthing does not have this and saves all files in the root directory of the respective peer and there is also the ".stignore".

These files must contain the working files of the other tool:

In the Resilio IgnoreList:

.stfolder
.stignore
.stversion
.syncthing
.syncthing *
.syncthing. *. *. tmp
~ syncthing ~ *. *. tmp

In the Syncthing .stignore

.sync
! sync
* .rsls

The point is exactly what you are discussing. Both programs can access a same directory if the two ignore pattern lists are stored there. There are no loops or other adverse effects.

The best thing to do is to set up two or three test directories and do various tests.

I can say so much. I have two Synologys that I keep in sync through Resilio. Around fifty peers with just over two TB of data. I have a third Synology externally and the access is a rural 2000 line. This is not possible with Resilio, but with Syncthing. Almost 40 peers in Syncthing use these ignores in peers from Resilio and sync exactly what Resilio syncs. The numerical values etc. all agree. It works perfectly for me.

1 hour ago, Andy+ said:

First, basic: Resilio has the subdirectory ".sync" in each peer, in which system files and also the temporary transfer files are located. The IgnoreList is also stored there. That is a good thing. Unfortunately Syncthing does not have this and saves all files in the root directory of the respective peer and there is also the ".stignore".

These files must contain the working files of the other tool:

.stfolder
.stignore
.stversion
.syncthing
.syncthing *
.syncthing. *. *. tmp
~ syncthing ~ *. *. tmp

In the Syncthing .stignore

.sync
! sync
* .rsls

The point is exactly what you are discussing. Both programs can access a same directory if the two ignore pattern lists are stored there. There are no loops or other adverse effects.

The best thing to do is to set up two or three test directories and do various tests.

I can say so much. I have two Synologys that I keep in sync through Resilio. Around fifty peers with just over two TB of data. I have a third Synology externally and the access is a rural 2000 line. This is not possible with Resilio, but with Syncthing. Almost 40 peers in Syncthing use these ignores in peers from Resilio and sync exactly what Resilio syncs. The numerical values etc. all agree. It works perfectly for me.

You lost me here :-)

In the first post you wrote:

.stfolder
.stignore
.stversion
.syncthing
.syncthing *
.syncthing. *. *. tmp
~ syncthing ~ *. *. tmp

And in the second post you wrote:

.stfolder
.stignore
.stversion
.syncthing
.syncthing *
.syncthing. *. *. tmp
~ syncthing ~ *. *. tmp

This is the list to add in the UI for Synchting right?

So in the Synchting you have a very nice UI where you can set the ignorelist

And in the Resilio you have to write it into the root folder named ".sync" in the IgnoreList file I found this in the root of the synch folder...

# IgnoreList is a UTF-8 encoded .txt file that helps you specify single files, paths and rules 
# for ignoring during the synchronization job. It supports "?" and "*" wildcard symbols.
#
#
# OS generated files #
$RECYCLE.BIN
$Recycle.Bin
System Volume Information
lost+found
.DocumentRevisions-V100
.TemporaryItems
.fseventsd
.iCloud
.DS_Store
.DS_Store?
.Spotlight-V100
.Trashes
.Trash-*
ehthumbs.db
desktop.ini
Thumbs.db
~*
*~
.~lock.*
*.part
*.filepart
.csync_journal.db
.csync_journal.db.tmp
*.swn
*.swp
*.swo
.dropbox
.dropbox.attr
*.crdownload
@eaDir
@SynoResource
.@__thumb
.thumbnails
._*

Sorry haven't done any ignore to any of these synch client before......

The text with "#... " is only a comment inside of such files. That files you can edit with a base Editor like Note++ or like that.

If you edit the files, you will see the comment letter at beginning, is # in the Resilio and // in the Syncthing file.

If you search, you will find documentations from both with description and some specials you can use.

Attached my working Ignore files as example.

.stignore IgnoreList