Latest desktop build 2.7.2

Helen

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Allegedly the Sync engine is the same as Connect. However, one has v2.7.2 and the other has v2.12.2. The situation is just unclear about the updates. I can understand that Resilio also has to make money. But there are also license users at Sync and not just free users.

Nobody expresses itself openly. It always just means that the capacities etc. are limited and something like that. I understand, but that's the case in every company. However, the fact that users migrate, preferably to Syncthing, is probably accepted.

• 2 months later...

I am a licensed user and am now in the process of uninstalling Sync Home Pro from my computers.  It is obvious that this is now abandoned software - not upgraded for more than a year, and for a Mac user, I cannot wait anymore to upgrade to the newest MacOs version.  The complete silence in this forum from the company speaks for itself.

In spite of that I wish the company the best of luck - and I hope that they will succeed and continue developing the software again - because I still think this is a good solid idea for sharing data between computers.

i'm running Sync Home Pro on MacOS Monterey without a problem. yes, the software hasn't been upgraded in a while...but to be fair is working (at least for me) without issues. not working for the company of trying to make you stay, just curious: any specific problems that made you move away from Sync Home Pro? 

keep seeing references to Syncthing. i looked into it and, for me, the showstopper is that they don't support selective sync. based on the couple of feature requests that people have opened for Syncthing to support selective sync...seems that the maintainers don't really understand why one wants something like that and they pretty much flatly said they won't implement it. again, show stopper for ME, doesn't mean is not a good solution for others

Resilio is software that is at the forefront. There is still no doubt about that. It has great features that others don't. Such important features as selective sync or local sync can also be done with Syncthing. That is not implemented there, everything is correct, but it can be done without detours.

The dilemma is elsewhere. It's not just the fact that users always want something new, for which updates are sufficient. The background to updates is very factual.

Expressed clearly. I also like to go retro and install old operating systems in a VM from time to time. When I try to install new software on it, it rarely works or it doesn't work properly. Conversely, if I want to install old software on a new operating system, I am lucky when it runs and even more lucky when it runs continuously without errors.

This is also the case with Resilio. The software, as good as it is, has its bugs. In addition, the surrounding operating systems such as Windows, Linux, Android, MacOS are constantly updated. Adjustments are being implemented so that the errors will increase with Resilio, which can already be seen. As an attentive reader of the forum, something like this cannot be overlooked.

It's a shame that other software will or has already expired. Using the example of Syncthing. This is already so process-reliable that it no longer needs to be observed. Syncthing has definitely reached Resilio's level.

What Resilio does in the commercial sector is one thing. However, these customers will not advertise software the way communities do. Microsoft already knew how to make excellent use of this. We all know what became of Microsoft.

And something like that is syncthing. Not that important, but the software is spreading all the time. The supporters take care of them, updates appear on a monthly basis, which gives the users a good feeling.

So why are license users moving from Resilio to Syncthing?

• 2 months later...

This is a funny message, unfortunately it borders to be impertinent. I'm sorry, it is questionable who from the support, please excuse my statement, want to cheat us. The fact is that there has been no update for a long time and Resilio Connect is now at v3.0.0. It is also a fact that Resilio Connect and Resilio Sync both had the same sync engine at least up to v2.7.2, why is Sync not called Resilio Sync v3.0.0?

I have been using Syncthing on Synology NAS, Windows 10/11 computers, Android devices for a few years because of this strange update policy, and I have several Pro licenses. In particular, the users of Sync Free basically have no functional losses, and there are 4-week updates for all platforms. There is no such thing as an accumulation of bugs here.

On 9/29/2021 at 10:44 PM, alin said:

i'm running Sync Home Pro on MacOS Monterey without a problem. yes, the software hasn't been upgraded in a while...but to be fair is working (at least for me) without issues. not working for the company of trying to make you stay, just curious: any specific problems that made you move away from Sync Home Pro? 

keep seeing references to Syncthing. i looked into it and, for me, the showstopper is that they don't support selective sync. based on the couple of feature requests that people have opened for Syncthing to support selective sync...seems that the maintainers don't really understand why one wants something like that and they pretty much flatly said they won't implement it. again, show stopper for ME, doesn't mean is not a good solution for others

Since Big Sure there is a bug in Sync. All shared folders have no icon in the sidebar of finder. Can you confirm that alin? I recently updated to Monterey but still no icons. Why can Apple publish a new OS and Resilio not any updates in the same time period. I reported this bug a year ago.

I contacted support again and got a similar answer as GeHoGo:

Sync is alive and being developed. The bug was reported to the developers. Unfortunately, we cannot give any ETA for the bug fix.
We are sorry for the inconvenience!
Shall you have any other questions, feel free to contact us.

I have no clue why they don't give any official announcements about the future of sync.... They are losing trust more and more

On 9/30/2021 at 7:05 PM, Andy+ said:

.... operating systems such as Windows, Linux, Android, MacOS are constantly updated. Adjustments are being implemented so that the errors will increase with Resilio, which can already be seen. As an attentive reader of the forum, something like this cannot be overlooked ....

Thats the big problem ..... readable in the forum.

• 1 month later...

Unfortunately, Resilio seems to have a bad marketing. Additionally Resilio no longer want to use the potential of the community. The same applies to the development of useful features. A lot has already been written about everything here.

There is an equal and absolutely comparable solution with Syncthing for the Resilio Free version. Also for the Resilio customers with a license, e.g. I have several licenses, there are possibilities to use the Pro features with Syncthing. So where is no problem in this direction. The real problem is Resilio, as you can read more and more about it in the forum that certain features are no longer working due to the development progress in the operating systems.

Maybe Resilio wants Sync Free and Pro to disappear at some point or for users to eventually switch to Connect, which has now reached version 3. It's unclear. Again and again it was promised that updates would continue here.

On 2/16/2022 at 12:01 AM, Andy+ said:

There is an equal and absolutely comparable solution with Syncthing for the Resilio Free version.

sorry, that's not true at all. Syncthing doesn't have any support for selective synching where you choose what you want to sync/download as opposed to everything.  

Maybe I wasn't perfect in the diction. Syncthing is open source, so there are 3rd party tools that do just that. I wanted to say that Syncthing can do that, but it's true that the software can't do that by default.

It is the same with the local sync. A second instance must be installed for this, which also does not correspond to the standard.

In order to realize the possibilities of the Resilio Pro, various tricks are required, but every user has the advantage that there is an update cycle of at least one month. This means that every user is always up to date with the latest software corresponding to the latest update of the related OS.

On 2/18/2022 at 8:26 PM, Andy+ said:

Syncthing is open source, so there are 3rd party tools that do just that. I wanted to say that Syncthing can do that, but it's true that the software can't do that by default.

Personally i'm a heavy user of selective sync and Syncthing is NOT an alternative...for me.

Edited by Helen

That's true, let's end the discussions on this when issues get too close. I think enough has been written, also on the situation with Resilio, that the messages have gotten through. Resilio has fans who are concerned that it won't go any further and if Resilio makes a tangible mark, I think it will all be forgotten very quickly.

46 minutes ago, luomat said:

It would be a lot easier to talk about Resilio Sync if the latest update wasn't almost 2 years old.

I've stopped recommending it to people because its future seems to be in such doubt. I don't want to talk someone into using something that ends up being abandonware.

+1  So far Resiliosync still works for me, but it would be nice to see some sigb of life again...

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/25/2022 at 12:49 PM, luomat said:

It would be a lot easier to talk about Resilio Sync if the latest update wasn't almost 2 years old.

I've stopped recommending it to people because its future seems to be in such doubt. I don't want to talk someone into using something that ends up being abandonware.

Migrated to a Synology NAS last fall.   Did not install Resilio as it does feel like abandonware.  Switched to FolderSync App for android clients.

On 2/18/2022 at 6:26 PM, Andy+ said:

Maybe I wasn't perfect in the diction. Syncthing is open source, so there are 3rd party tools that do just that. I wanted to say that Syncthing can do that, but it's true that the software can't do that by default.

It is the same with the local sync. A second instance must be installed for this, which also does not correspond to the standard.

In order to realize the possibilities of the Resilio Pro, various tricks are required, but every user has the advantage that there is an update cycle of at least one month. This means that every user is always up to date with the latest software corresponding to the latest update of the related OS.

How can you archieve selective and local sync like the way it is in resilio sync in syncthing? With which 3rd party tool can you do that?

On 2/16/2022 at 9:01 AM, Andy+ said:

Unfortunately, Resilio seems to have a bad marketing. Additionally Resilio no longer want to use the potential of the community. The same applies to the development of useful features. A lot has already been written about everything here.

There is an equal and absolutely comparable solution with Syncthing for the Resilio Free version. Also for the Resilio customers with a license, e.g. I have several licenses, there are possibilities to use the Pro features with Syncthing. So where is no problem in this direction. The real problem is Resilio, as you can read more and more about it in the forum that certain features are no longer working due to the development progress in the operating systems.

Maybe Resilio wants Sync Free and Pro to disappear at some point or for users to eventually switch to Connect, which has now reached version 3. It's unclear. Again and again it was promised that updates would continue here.

And how can you switch to connect? As far as I am informed this is just a business version and not for private users. Maybe I am wrong, I have just had a short look at the page of connect and this was what I found.