IgnoreList - lines beginning with #

It appears that lines beginning with "#" would be skipped when parsing the IgnoreList, since at the top we have lines like

# IgnoreList is a UTF-8 encoded .txt file that helps you specify single files, paths and rules
# for ignoring during the synchronization job. It supports "?" and "*" wildcard symbols.

But, in the default IgnoreList for new folders, these 3 lines also exist (seems related to Synology Drive app):

#recycle
#snapshot
#SynoRecycle

I am assuming that this is either a mistake, or somehow this isn't working because I guess these lines would be "ignored by the IgnoreList itself" 🤔

It's actually not all that unusual. I've seen that syntax used in code (C or ObjectiveC? I'm not sure) for things like `#include` and `#define`.

That's what made me think it might be the same here.

• 2 months later...

In the Linux world it is standard that script lines with # at the beginning is a character for commenting out. Everything that follows a # is at most a comment, nothing else. And it doesn't matter whether there is a space after it or not. Sometimes // are also used, but this is not common.

# are not errors, but give the user the choice, e.g. activate or deactivate a parameter etc.

More about the IgnoreList here

https://help.resilio.com/hc/en-us/articles/205458165-Ignoring-files-in-Sync-Ignore-List-

Thats true. But is fact, used scripts with # at the beginning of lines are ignored from the software or user, which use that script, here is IgnoreList used by Resilio. It means:

# bullshit | is ignored

#bullshit | is ignored

bullshit | is not ignored