New files overwritten by older ones?

doodee

Hello,

I had something strange happen sometime in the past 2 days.  I have a number of folders sync'd across my laptop and 2 desktops.  The problem I've noticed is in the syncing of my "Documents" folder, though I'm not sure if similar problems have occurred elsewhere.

I just came back into the office for the first time since March.  It had been a while since I logged into my desktops, and the sync'd Documents folders there may have been quite old.  I didn't think that would be a problem.  My laptop had the most current versions of files, as I had been working on it at home.

All of a sudden, there seemed to be a bunch of missing files in my laptop's Documents folder.  These files still existed on my desktop machine, but older versions.  I paused Resilio Sync in case that was the problem while I tried to track down the issue.  I was unable to figure out what had happened, so I turned Sync back on in the hopes that the issue would somehow resolve.  I let the sync finish overnight.

Now, many of the files are there on my laptop again, but in some cases, they seem to be older versions.  I've noticed this in some of my local git repositories, where the latest local commit shows sometime in April, when I have definitely committed and pushed through August (as can be seen on github).

One other thing to keep in mind is that my laptop was running sync 2.7.0 at the time, and i think my desktops were running 2.6.2 or thereabouts.  I have since updated sync on the laptop and one desktop to 2.7.2 (i've stopped sync on the other desktop for now, to not complicate things).

I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar issue, or can help me figure out what might be happening here?  Very strange, and kind of troubling.  I have online backups, but it's taking forever to download them from crashplan - not sure that job will ever properly complete...

Thanks,

Alex

Between v2.6.2 from Nov. 2018 and v2.7.2 from Jul. 2020 are a lot of new technology and updates. Maybe there is a confusion between that versions, since v2.7.0 there are also some structural news in the software. Maybe check your .sync/Archiv about deleted and archived files on both sides.