Is Running as a Windows Service Better?

I read about the difference.  If you run Resilio Sync as a Windows Service, it just runs automatically.  You also can only make adjustments via the web browser instead of a dedicated GUI.  But, does that matter?  I would think that running it via Windows Service would be more efficient.  Further, since the web browser UI is the same as the GUI in terms of features, is there a reason not to run Resilio Sync as a Windows Service?

But, does that matter?

I've run Sync as a service since the feature was introduced. IMO the biggest advantage of running as a service are that Sync runs once the machine is on, regardless of whether you're logged on. If, like me, you have a bunch of machines you manage, then that means you don't have to manually log on to start Sync. Once the machine boots, Sync is running.

Also, for some platforms - e.g. Linux and FreeBSD - the Web UI is the only GUI option available.

running it via Windows Service would be more efficient

I don't have any recent comparison of this but sync typically uses 200 to 300 MB RAM on my machines anyway. Since the minimum installed RAM on my x86-64 machines is 16 GB, I don't really worry about that. Most of the CPU usage is due to hashing, which is independent of any UI.

is there a reason not to run Resilio Sync as a Windows Service

The only situation in which you would not want to run Resilio Sync as a service that I can think of is when you have multiple Resilio Sync users on the same machine. Services are single instance, which means that they're tied to a single Resilio Sync identity/account. Obviously that won't work very well for separate Sync accounts.

I personally never start RSL as service on my Windows systems, I don't even have it automatically start when I log in. I only start it when I need to sync files, and exit it once the synchronization finishes.

Of course I have 2 Raspberry Pis, running 24x7, with rslsync always online.

On the other hand, I am not sure if the pop-up menu works correctly when running RSL as service on Windows (I am talking about the RSL pop-up menu when you right click on files, such as "Sync to this device / Remove from this device / Remove from all devices", etc.)

15 hours ago, jdrch said:

I've run Sync as a service since the feature was introduced. IMO the biggest advantage of running as a service are that Sync runs once the machine is on, regardless of whether you're logged on. If, like me, you have a bunch of machines you manage, then that means you don't have to manually log on to start Sync. Once the machine boots, Sync is running.

Also, for some platforms - e.g. Linux and FreeBSD - the Web UI is the only GUI option available.

I don't have any recent comparison of this but sync typically uses 200 to 300 MB RAM on my machines anyway. Since the minimum installed RAM on my x86-64 machines is 16 GB, I don't really worry about that. Most of the CPU usage is due to hashing, which is independent of any UI.

The only situation in which you would not want to run Resilio Sync as a service that I can think of is when you have multiple Resilio Sync users on the same machine. Services are single instance, which means that they're tied to a single Resilio Sync identity/account. Obviously that won't work very well for separate Sync accounts.

Thanks for the info!  Sounds like I'm going to run it as a Windows service.  It seems like it makes everything easier.

On 12/1/2020 at 3:46 PM, jdrch said:

Sure does, 200% Enjoy!

Jdrch,

Sadly, it looks like my Windows 10 can't run Resilio Sync as a Windows Service. 

When I installed Windows, I did something unusual and changed the User Folder into my personal name instead of the first 4 letters of my email.  I did this because I didn't want my User Folder to be labeled as "mich" (say my email is Michael42@gmail.com).  So, via the Registry I changed the User Folder to my name, Michael.  I guess Resilio Sync doesn't know how to handle this.  It won't accept my personal name as my username.  I tried tons of variations but it won't work.  The only thing it will accept is the original email.  But when I use my original email, it then creates a new User Folder called mich.

Oh well.  I tried.  Maybe Resilio reads this thread some day and fixes this.

Thanks for your help.  I appreciate it.

55 minutes ago, FlatEarthisNotImpossible said:

Jdrch,

Sadly, it looks like my Windows 10 can't run Resilio Sync as a Windows Service. 

When I installed Windows, I did something unusual and changed the User Folder into my personal name instead of the first 4 letters of my email.  I did this because I didn't want my User Folder to be labeled as "mich" (say my email is Michael42@gmail.com).  So, via the Registry I changed the User Folder to my name, Michael.  I guess Resilio Sync doesn't know how to handle this.  It won't accept my personal name as my username.  I tried tons of variations but it won't work.  The only thing it will accept is the original email.  But when I use my original email, it then creates a new User Folder called mich.

Oh well.  I tried.  Maybe Resilio reads this thread some day and fixes this.

Thanks for your help.  I appreciate it.

Hmmm ... from my experience setting up Windows 10, if you use a Microsoft Account your username will be your 1st name. From there Windows will automatically name your user folder, etc. Windows generally expects your username and user folder name to be the same (so does every other desktop OS, actually), so if they aren't you'll have a nonstandard config and run into trouble.

I don't really know how to fix that without reinstallation; try Microsoft Answers, r/Windows10, or r/techsupport.